View Full Version : Tundra Primer Problems

shaftsinkerawc
02-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Has anyone come up with a different primer setup for the tundra's. I like the bulb type primers but can only find them in 1/4" tubing size. Seems like every time I go to use the plunger type it doesn't work.

Nick Olzenak
02-07-2011, 08:50 AM
If this is the same primer type that Ski Doo uses from the factory we have had good luck with them. The only other options are bulb type primers but the fuel line would be larger.

chickenminer
02-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Hmmm, I think the bulb type primer would be a real problem in the cold. That rubber doesn't want to squeeze very well when it's -30 !

Yes, the plunger type can be a real pain. I always have trouble after the machine sits for the summer. If your primer functions and just doesn't want to suck, try blowing into the tank vent tube while priming. That will put a little pressure into the tank and the primer will then pick up.
If the primer is sticking, pour some hot water on it. They tend to get frost buildup.

shaftsinkerawc
02-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try and reroute my overflow tube for easy access and extra preassure. As to the -30 temperatures I've been getting lazy, rather just stay put and feed the fire.

Bob(AK)
02-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Yes, what Dick said, machine sits all summer primer dries out, takes time to work again. And yes if it is 20 -30 below stay home, I educated myself to that several years ago. Dick probably has no choice, winter is always cold where he lives, Bob

shaftsinkerawc
02-07-2011, 03:38 PM
I think I dripped a couple of drops of 3in1 oil to try and make work but it didn't help. Are they a rubber seal that swell with gasoline contact?

chickenminer
02-07-2011, 05:20 PM
shaftsinker...
Those primers are a very simple gizmo. Little flapper valve on the inside. Yes, the rubber O-ring on the plunger gets dried out. Usually once you get the primer to suck again it will be okay. It will most likely leak around the pluger shaft at first, but should quit once the O-ring gets juiced up again.
Try the trick with putting a little pressure in the tank and the primer will pick right up.