View Full Version : Can-Am Side by Side (SxS)

Steve Herschbach
02-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Hi,

Rumors are flying on the internet about a side by side ATV from Can-Am. As a dealer I can neither confirm or deny these rumors, other than to acknowledge they exist.

What I can do is say that I've been wanting a side by side unit for years. Yeah, Can-Am makes the Outlander two-up models, but it is not the same. One thing I have noted watching people is that guys seem to be uncomfortable sitting close behind other guys. I'll not get into the psychology of that but it is an observable fact.

Nope, what we guys want is to be parked up on the ridge, sitting next to each other, with a thermos of coffee, spying the countryside with binoculars looking for game.

There are several markets for side by side units. One is the sport market, where the units are more like a dune buggy. Another is the utility, hauling market.

What I personally want is a heavy duty, powerful hauler with a large cargo bed. I need to haul lots of gear, and need access to trails where trucks are banned but ATVs allowed. There are models like this out there from other brands, but I keep hoping Can-Am will produce one. Been waiting for years actually - ever since BRP got into the ATV business.

How about you? What would you like to see in the way of a side by side unit from Can-Am?

extractor
02-20-2010, 06:29 PM
I would like to see something about the size of the 4 seat RZR , but olny with 2 seats and a large cargo bed to carry a lot or gear

chickenminer
02-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Since you asked, here is my open letter to Can Am;

Dear Can-Am,
Please consider the following when designing your new side by side ATV.
1) Shaft drive ... NO DRIVE CHAINS, PERIOD !
2) Disc brakes ... if you even think drum brakes, you're fired!
3) Same size tires/rims all around ( the next maufacturer that uses different sizes will be shot! )
4) A reasonable size engine for the vehicle ( forget the 6 zillion CC with quadraphonic blah,blah) I want enough power with fuel efficency. These things run out of traction LONG before power !
CanAm should be a leader in this field.
5) Easy access to engine compartment. Things do go wrong!
6) Independent suspension... forget the stiff, solid one-piece axle.
7) Nice big cargo box and racks! A dumping cargo box prefered, with LOTS of tie-down points.
8) Heavy duty 12-volt accessory ports .... I want a port that has heavy wiring and won't blow a fuse when something larger than a GPS is plugged in!
Just a few options for you to consider. If you would like a real-life product development person, I am available for hire.

Nick Olzenak
03-02-2010, 09:59 PM
That describes my dream rig I think. I have been waiting for BRP to release a side by side since Yamaha and Polaris introduced them what seems to be so long ago now. I really want to be able to load the bed full of gear and get as far into the back country as we do on our sleds. What a great way to get out and see Alaska! It really shouldnt be too much longer now before we start to get some details on whats to come... Heres to hoping its what we all want!

Jeff in ME
03-02-2010, 10:32 PM
6 wheels that can be converted to tracks for wintertime use. Lots of cargo space in back and a rack (not just a roll cage) capable of supporting additional cargo (like a canoe or a couple of kayaks). Take that engine from the 800 E tec (or something similar) and throw that under the hood and it should haul darn near anything!

Jeff