View Full Version : Building a boat

micropedes1
03-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Is is worthwhile to drop a seadoo motor/pump into a flatbottom metal boat in order to have some weight-hauling capacity in the back country? Yes, I know. Outboards are easier. But I have surplus of jetskis to utilize.:confused:

Steve Herschbach
04-01-2011, 05:00 PM
I think it is a heck of an idea. Nick has more info so I will yell at him to chime in.

shaftsinkerawc
05-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Do you have a motor/pump unit to fit a 96 Polaris SL900? Thanks & Have a great day. awc

micropedes1
05-02-2011, 01:06 PM
If I am correct, then the one needed for the SL900 is a 3 cylinder engine, right? Nothing around here powerful enough for your needs, I'm afraid.

shaftsinkerawc
05-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for looking.

Nick Olzenak
05-04-2011, 10:04 AM
At this years boat show I ran into a gentlemen who had fabricated a watercraft engine from a stand up jet ski into a Grumman Scanoe. He had actually used the motor mounts from the jet ski hull, and fabricated an engine compartment forward of the stern to allow for the hood, and steering controls from the jet ski to fit.

Though the Grumman Scanoe is much different (smaller) than a conventional jon boat, the concept seemed to work and could be incorporated into a small jon like a 14 or 16 footer. I wish I had gotten some photos to keep from this gentlemen to share, but youll have to use your imagination on how it turned out!

micropedes1
05-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Nick, the actual adaptation of motor to boat is not what worries me. But rather, after all that work, will there be enough useful power to haul any kind of load. I had also heard that the suction is powerful enough that the intake will slurp up rocks from the shallow rivers. Outboards are easy to kick up and clear. Flipping over a loaded boat to clear intake grate might be a problem.

Steve Herschbach
05-05-2011, 01:27 PM
OMC made an inboard jet unit for a few years that we sold incorporated into some small boat models. The OMC Turbo Jet 115 HP Inboard/Stern Drive Motor. We had several melt down from running shallow and sucking up sand. The motors were water cooled and the sand settled into the cooling system. It basically insulated the cylinders, heat bulit up, and the motors siezed up. It is essential to have a very large sand trop on a system like this, but even the largest sand trap can become quickly overloaded by a unit capable of sucking up sand by the gallon. Ultimately the product was a failure in our market for that reason. The whole point of having a jet is to run shallow and if the system fails when running shallow why have it? I suspect the same thing would happen if you put a jetski pump in a flat bottom boat.