View Full Version : minelab safari feedback anyone?

Akjosh
04-14-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm looking at the Minelab Safari to purchase and was wondering if any of you guys or gals could give me any feedback or experiences you may have had. Thanks a bunch. Oh ya, I'm a newbie to the art as well.

Steve Herschbach
04-16-2011, 03:13 PM
The Safari is a good coin and jewelry detector but we do not see many around here as people lean towards units that are good also for nugget detecting, like the X-Terras. The Safari's weakest suite would be as a nugget detector.

Steve Herschbach
04-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Are you the guy that contacted AMDS on Saturday? Bob and I were both off so the salespeople left know little about detectors we do not stock. I don't think we have ever sold a Safari. We stock and do sell quite a few E-Tracs and SE Pros. I have an E-Trac myself.

Walt_Anchorage
04-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Buy American. There are some good detectors made by American companies and this country needs all the help it can get.

Akjosh
04-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Yes that was me. I'm waiting till Tuesday to call back. I didn't realize you didn't stock them. I'm just figuring I won't get scared off if I start with a detector that I can go use in my yard, park, or beach. More options to learn with before I go for the elusive Juneau mini nugget. It seems like the best route into the MD world. Plus I have the lowdown on an $8000 ring my boss lost in the snow a couple of years ago, guaranteed it's still there, but there is LOTS of metal around where it is.

Akjosh
04-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Are the "American" detectors actually made here? Probably Mexico or china would be my guess. My wife has an American car...made in Mexico. Kinda sucks how companies do that. I would like to know if you have info on any that really are Made In The USA.
Thanks

Steve Herschbach
04-18-2011, 04:57 PM
White's are made in Sweet Home Oregon. They make everything, the cases, coils, etc. Maybe some components arte made overseas but the detectors are made in the USA. Garrett's are made in Garland Texas. Fishers are made in El Paso Texas. Tesoro is made in Prescott, Arizona.

Detecting is one of the few areas we still dominate with Minelab as the only real presence in the US market that is made overseas in Australia and Malaysia.

Akjosh
04-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Awesome! Thanks for that bit of USA info. I'm still having a tough time deciding. I'm leaning towards the MXT pro now. It really has some sweet reviews and field test reports. It really sounds nice and not to hard to learn. Very versatile.

Steve Herschbach
04-18-2011, 05:38 PM
The MXT Pro is the most popular detector we sell. Great all around detector and very good on gold nuggets also. The MXT has probably found more gold at Ganes Creek, Alaska than any other detector. Last time I was at Ganes eight out of twelve people were running MXTs. And way easier to operate than menu driven detectors. Just a few knobs and a couple switches, all od which have a clearly marked "Preset" for those who do not know where to set the control.

Akjosh
04-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Alright I'm done giving myself a headache. Thank you Walt for your suggestion. I'm calling you tomorrow Steve to buy an MXT. I have made my decision! I am going to bury many targets in my yard. What do I need to get with it? I want to be prepared for everything.

Walt_Anchorage
04-19-2011, 02:43 PM
I think you'll be happy with the MXT. I have an early model with the smaller coil. As with any detector the key is to learn the machine. Good luck.

flyfishnv
04-19-2011, 04:01 PM
The MXT Pro is the most popular detector we sell. Great all around detector and very good on gold nuggets also. The MXT has probably found more gold at Ganes Creek, Alaska than any other detector. Last time I was at Ganes eight out of twelve people were running MXTs. And way easier to operate than menu driven detectors. Just a few knobs and a couple switches, all od which have a clearly marked "Preset" for those who do not know where to set the control.

Steve, I am happy to read that as mine just arrived two weeks ago. I have started triying to learn how to use it at the beach on Lake Michigan. I found a couple coins, but the sand was only thawed out 4-5 inches so I did not dig everything. And it has been snowing again today for the last 7-8 hours! I am excited to come north in June and give it a good work out.

goldmann
04-21-2011, 08:34 PM
You will not go wrong with a MXT Pro if you get it and a very good choice, but I do not want to give you another headache by telling you to also consider the latest model of the most recent Fisher F75 with the extra new 15" DD coil as well. The newer waterproof Garrett AT Pro is also something to look at. If you want simple with no TID meter look towards the Tesoro Lobo ST.

But remember if you are 'mainly' working in saturated-wet saltwater sand and at the same time you need very good discrimination get a Minelab FBS(Safari) or BBS(Sovereign GT) machine. BUT in dry saltwater sand, on dry-land, and/or saturated-wet freshwater sand stick to getting one of the 4(four) USAmerican made machines mentioned above from Steve in Anchorage.