View Full Version : Some Ganes Nuggets from 2010

Steve Herschbach
04-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Hi,

Here is a picture of most of the gold I found at Ganes Creek last summer - about 6 ounces worth. Found with Minelab GPX 5000 and Fisher F75.

Jim Hemmingway
04-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Absolutely beautiful samples Steve!! :cool:

I'm guessing at the size of these pieces, but they look to be sufficiently large to be detected easily with the MXT and 12" stock coil. Harkening back to a thread last year, I now understand your thinking on this subject.

Do you mind my asking how you ran the F75? For example was small iron junk sufficiently abundant to warrant flipping into a disc mode, or for example did you primarily use the all-metal mode and utilize the target ID. Or did you tend to dig 'em all? Now I'm not trying to be tricky at all, just interested to learn or discuss this with somebody knowledgeable who has used this unit for gold hunting in modest minerals, but likely with fairly abundant iron junk levels...

Jim.

Steve Herschbach
04-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi Jm,

The larger chunks are around 1/2 oz pieces. I ran the F75 in all metal mode and watched the target id. Deep targets have no id and so need digging to find out what they are. Once the visual disc kicked in iron disc was fantastic. The F75 was great at Ganes and I will be using it again this summer.

Jim Hemmingway
04-16-2011, 08:45 PM
OK Steve, thanks very much. With gold in that size range I imagined you'd search for it much the same as I hunt silver over here in Ontario. Nothing tricky, just a good common sense approach. Be interesting to see how you like the 15" DD coil. Better coverage, a depth advantage, it should work out well for you.

Well I'm glad you like the F75. You know, from the time I first used that unit for silver over here I felt that everything considered..from nugget hunting to ore evaluation...it was the closest thing to an "all-in-one" prospecting unit I'd ever owned. And fantastic detection depth even in my soil. I'm pretty certain DJ was a bit surprised and pleased to see how this unit was fully utilized for rock hunting.

Well thats it for now. Its been awhile since we just shot the breeze about something we both enjoy so much. I do like to get your thoughts Steve...many thanks...Jim.

kamikaze1a
04-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Great score Steve! What percentage of that was found with the Minelab?

Steve Herschbach
04-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi Gaine,

Amazing thing is I found most of the gold with the GPX-5000. I got smarter about where to use the Minelab and plus got lucky. I had remarkably poor luck in the pushes and did better on my own hunting "worked out" areas with the 5000.

kamikaze1a
04-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the tip and way to go! A couple real nice looking neck chain nuggets in that bunch. I guess if you were swinging the ML, you must have dug more than a few deep holes.

ddmk6
04-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks for sharing the pic's Steve. Always fun to see what people find. I just got word that the new GPX 5000 showed up on my door step today. It's killing me not to be there. Thanks again for everything. Awesome doing business with you guys.

Kenny

Steve Herschbach
04-19-2011, 10:06 PM

Spot the holes?

Steve in Idaho
04-20-2011, 06:40 AM
I thought that badgers did most of that digging, then I saw Steve with his big pick and all of those nice nuggets that came from those holes. Steve is a dedicated gold hunter.

Bob(AK)
04-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Now Steve, you are not actually going to say that all six of those holes had nuggets in them are you?? Bob

Steve Herschbach
04-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Nope! I dug far more holes for iron trash than gold!!