View Full Version : Day 2 GPX 5000

ddmk6
05-02-2011, 04:11 PM
I spent the last couple days getting to know my new GPX 5000. Quite an impressive machine. I wish I hadn't waited so long before giving minelab a go.

Both of these little bits were found with an 18" mono coil in ground I had previously worked with my GMT. Don't get me wrong, the GMT found gold there also but the hot rocks drove me nuts and I gave up. Even with the hot rocks and hot ground the GPX 5000 threshold was very stable. I think the only thing bothering the GPX was electrical interference from the space station! Man this thing is powerful.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found the smallest little piece about 3" deep while using the 18" mono. After finding that I don't think I have to worry about the GPX's capabilities! Although pin pointing with that 18" coil is not a very fun experience. That little nugget didn't have any gold showing when I found it, pretty much a black color. I bet it took me an hour to sort it out from the dirt ;)

Just wanted to share my view of the GPX 5000. I'm off to the hills. It's going to be a busy week before I have to go back to work. Hope I have the stamina to keep up with this bad boy. Now if the snow would just melt from the high country.....

Kenny

Reno Chris
05-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Congrats on your success. Finding gold is always a thrill. I know the first time I used a PI detector I was amazed at how it cut through the ground noise chatter.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve Herschbach
05-02-2011, 07:20 PM
To go from a VLF to a GPX 5000 is night and day. Back when it was VLF to SD 2000 not so much. Most of our gold in my area is too small for an SD. But the GPX is hot, goes deep, and in most cases runs a threshold so smooth it is scary. Now if they could only get it to discriminate deep iron!

ddmk6
05-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks Chris. It's pretty sweet not having to listen to all of the other noises and just concentrate on targets! I haven't found anywhere that I'm not able to run the 18" goldstalker mono. Pretty impressive. You know well that we have some tough ground around here. I'm loving my decision to take the plunge.....

Steve, man are you right about the discrimination of deep iron. This thing will wear the point off of a pick in record time digging D E E P iron. It will really find those boot tacks too :-)

Didn't get to play today, the to do list needed some attention. Hate it when work gets in the way.

Kenny

ddmk6
05-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Added a few more to the collection today. Man I can't wait until the high country opens up so I can hunt some ground that hasn't been worked so much. Need to find the big brothers. My buddy did manage to find a nice 2 penny weight piece though.