View Full Version : Trying to find the right one.......?

Telecommbrkr
05-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi I am a newbie here, and am here cause I need to find experienced information regarding the choice of metal detector I am about to buy.

I am now the proud owner of several blocks of placer rights in the BC Rockies. :cool:
I am looking for a machine that will allow me to find the gold in quartz specimens, fairly small nugget gold, and be able to scan deeper than the top 8".

The area is higher mountain drainage, probably highly mineralized ground, that is also close to the source quartz viens somewhere in the surrounding bedrock.

I have talked with the sales staff at a large detector vendor, and each of the three times that I have talked with a different rep, I have gotten a different recommendation of a machine.

So far I have the following machines in mind:

Fischer Gold Bug DP (recommended by sales rep)

White's GMT (watched all the instructional videos and it looked easy to use)

Minelab Eureka (I lke the auto ground balance and three frequency features)

Garret Infinium LS ( I know this is a PI machine, but not sure about its worthiness)

If there was someone out there that either has experience with this type of prospecting or could direct me to someone or another forum with experience it would be greatly appreciated. Mining season starts soon!!!!

Steve Herschbach
05-07-2011, 01:45 PM
It is pinned at the top of this forum...

http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/13-Latest-Nugget-Detector-Recommendations-for-Alaska

Are you talking about trying to find gold in a piece of quartz you are holding in your hand? Or are you trying to detect gold in a vein running through highly mineralized bedrock? Finally, what is your budget?

Telecommbrkr
05-07-2011, 02:10 PM
I have placer rights, so therefore I am looking for specimen rocks in/on the ground near old mine tailings, and nuggets in glacial till.

Trying not to go over $1000, but will a little if needed for a good unit. My favorite so far is the Eureka, just trying to find firsthand experience.

Steve Herschbach
05-07-2011, 03:52 PM
The reason I ask is that when it comes to hitting the tiniest gold possible in a pice of quartz I use a Fisher Gold Bug 2 with a 6" coil. It will hit a pinhead. But its penetration into mineralized ground is poor. In severe mineralization I would use a PI unit like the Minelab GPX 5000, but that is far above your budget. Less expensive alternate PI units like the Garrett Infinium are not very good on small gold. It really is just going to boil down to the size of the gold. The Eureka is a good detector. I just wish they made a small coil for it.

Telecommbrkr
05-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks for your feedback Steve. I also read the thread you linked above. It looks like the Eureka is going to give me the most bang for my buck off the start. Should things 'pan' out well with my placer claim exploration I could very well move up to a deep scanning unit and a small gold specific unit in the future.

By the way have you ever heard of 'Oro Industries'? search for 'mobile placer mining plant' on youtube and watch the video with the red machine being loaded by the rubbertire backhoe. Let me know what you think of it.

Steve Herschbach
05-08-2011, 12:11 PM
I have seen their ads. Never seen one in Alaska though so do not know anything about them.