View Full Version : Sierra Madre Treasure hunting

fish5050
05-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Over the last several weeks I had the opportunity to detect and prospect the occidental range of the Sierra Madre in western Mexico. Since so many of the AMDS participants have been so generous with their thoughts & pictures I feel I should share some of my recent results. Initially I had hoped to visit the Valdez gold property near Hermosillo which is now owned by the "hot" Dawson City, Canada prospector Shawn Ryan, however my contact was unable to get us entry. The Tepic area also has several Canadian traded juniors, but none were open to "gringo intrusion" in light of the recent mining accidents.
We ended up in the beach village of Sayulita and had fun anyway. Below is a picture of the beach that I detected for several hours each day around low tide periods. I thought I would find some of the silver jewelery that the street vendors sell on the beach, however they also sell a great deal of "twist off" beer bottles in the same area so guess what I spendt a lot of time digging. On my 1st day I did find coins from 3 different countries, Canada, U.S. & numerous of Mexico. Also found my 1st cell phone. (picture below)
In addition I did find a near by creek that was very rich in pyrite (see below) however it was quite light in weight and did not pan like the same Oregon mineral. The afternoons get very hot so following the locals lead of afternoon "siesta" was a great way to prepare for the evening festivities. Overall the trip was an excellent escape from the nasty Northwest weather, but nice insight too what we have coming soon this summer..... Great season and an extra helping of Good luck to all real soon.

Fish

rattlesnake jim
05-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Looks like mica instead of pyrite.

fish5050
05-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks Jim, I did not even think about mica. I was thinking pyrite because that is what my wife thought it was. I did bring a gallon ziplock bagful home with me in my carry on bag, and it created quite a stir with the TSA fellas in Los Angeles after I cleared customs. 1st they did the xray machine on me, then pat down, then took the bag to the special sample testing machine. I was thinking maybe the ground had some kind of sulpher or a magnesium content to it, that would set thier explosive equipment off. They could not put an actual identification on it after testing it twice, and discussing the content with the supervisor on duty. At this point your mica thought is probably the best idea until I send it to a lab. All the Best.
Fish

Steve Herschbach
05-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great place for an underwater detector!

fish5050
05-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Funny, You don't know how correct you are Steve. One morning I was approached by a cute young lady from Canada whom had lost her wedding ring the day before while surfing. I was really sorry to inform her that I could not help, in that I was a "beach only" kinda guy. I've admired that Garrett underwater unit, just have'nt pulled the money trigger on one yet. All the Best
Fish

Steve Herschbach
05-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Hi Fish,

The jewelry is in the water. Pull the trigger. I hunt the beaches when I get waterlogged but only because. You have to get into the water to see good finds regularly.