View Full Version : Metal Detecting in the UK

Steve Herschbach
05-14-2011, 08:50 PM
My friends George and Gary worked on me for a couple years to convince me to make a trip to the UK to hunt Celtic gold coins at http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/ The guy next to the Wecome to Colchester sign is Gary, one of the pioneers and current record holder for gold coins found with this outfit. I finally committed in 2009 for a trip in October 2010.

Chris Meitiner runs a pay to hunt operation in Colchester where he has made deals with farmers to allow detectorists access to the fields to hunt for relics and coins. He has various rooming schemes and we went with the "full ride" version where he rooms you, feeds you, and drives you to your chosen locations. There are more fields to hunt then you will have time. It runs about $1500 a week plus air fare which from Anchorage was about another $1500. We booked a two week stay.

This post has been expanded with new commentary and photos and moved to http://www.detectorprospector.com/steves-mining-journal/colchester-uk-metal-detecting-fisher-f75-whites-mxt.htm

http://www.akmining.com/forums/images/misc/pencil.png

seeker
05-15-2011, 03:11 AM
Well Done Steve Those are some fantastic pieces of history.........Geo

ArcticDave
05-15-2011, 05:05 AM
Thats really cool, Steve! Facinating finds to be sure. Sounds like it could be an awesome trip...just hope for dry weather!

Rocky
05-15-2011, 06:48 AM
Fantastic finds Steve !
This would be a trip of a lifetime , glad you found some really nice things.
I really like the Roman items the best , It's something about Rome that to me
is just awesome .

Mikthestik
05-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Unbelievable ! Sounds like an amazing trip with great memories ! Congratulations !

Jim Hemmingway
05-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Congratulations Steve on a wonderful assortment of finds. As a first trip to a new area you have done exceptionally well...as anyone with a sliver of common sense would expect from you.

An excellent presentation Steve :cool: many thanks...

Jim.

Steve Herschbach
05-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks Jim. This was a rush job. I plan to edit and add some of my own photos soon but just wanted to finally get the main story going.

I was extremely happy with the F75 on this hunt. Would use it again in a heartbeat.

goldmann
06-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Steve, that's really awesome is an understatement, wOw! Also so many buttons.

1) Did you try the new Fisher 15" DD coil on the F75 there.?

2) Did you hear about or see other people using any NEL Tornado DD coils from the Ukraine or Detech SEF Butterfly DD coils there.? (For more coverage in fields.)

3) I wonder if there are orgainized hunts in mainland Europe as well, like Germany, Belgium, or Czech Republic, etc.?

Steve Herschbach
06-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi goldmann,

The 15" coil was not out last year. I did not notice any of the other coils you mention. And have not heard of trips like you mention, but that does not mean they do not exist.