View Full Version : Heading for Ganes Creek next weekend

Steve Herschbach
06-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Well, it is finally here. Just one week left at work before my two week stay at Ganes Creek begins.

I will be following a two tier strategy. First, hunt the bulldozer pushes with my Fisher F75 Special Edition and new 15" coil. Second, follow up in evening with Minelab GPX 5000 and Coiltek Goldstalker 24" x 14" mono coil hunting "worked out" locations.

Toss in the usual put in as many hours as possible swinging the coil and I should have a good shot at some gold. Doug has wireless so I will try and post updates when I can.

I am looking forward to seeing a lot of friends up at Ganes. Always a good time.

Jim Hemmingway
06-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Sounds like good strategy Steve...good luck and have a real good time. I'll be thinking about you and hoping you beep over some great pieces. :)

Jim.

Loobie
06-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I 2nd the good strategy. I'll miss you again this year, as I will be there the 3rd week. I will be swinging the MXT with the 15x18 S.E.F. coil til my arm falls off and have a GMT as a lighter weight back up. Best of luck to you, be safe, and do post pics.

Steve Herschbach
06-04-2011, 01:21 PM
I tried for a third week but a communication snafu got me shut out. Tiny chance I could hang around a third week if an opening came up but I have made other plans at this point figuring it will not be the case. Good luck to you also!

tbivingsWA
06-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Hello Steve,
Wishing you well on your 2 weeks at Ganes Creek. I was not able to get onboard for the early weeks and as each week began to quickly filled up I did not think I would make it back in 2011. I was glad when Doug opened up two additional weeks. I am at Ganes on week July 23-30. This year again I will be using my GPX 4000 and I purchased a X-Terra 705 Gold Pack with a 10.5 (DD coil) that I saw Gene (Idaho) used last year (2010). The features he showed me got my attention so I purchased one as soon as I got back to Washington State. Take care!....Tyrie in Pasco, Washington

Steve Herschbach
06-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Honestly later weeks are better as you are competing more with novices than old Pros. Good luck!

Barney 11
06-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Not a Pro but will be seeing you on the second week----getting hard to wait until then. Will be the first time there and raring to go---lol

Steve Herschbach
06-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Hi Barney,

What are you bringing and what is your plan? See you second week!

ddmk6
06-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Have a great time Steve. Keep us posted.

Kenny

highbanker58
06-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Hi Steve -I will be there the 3rd week.I can't wait to get back up there,I was there in 2008 and had a great time.I have tried to get back for the last couple years but family and the lack of employees has kept me in Arizona.I was up at Rich Hill last week, it's getting too hot to hunt all day, 95 degrees by noon. You said Doug has WIFI available now,will we have access to a computer or do we bring our own? It will be interesting to see how much he has taken down the tailing piles. Dave

Reno Chris
06-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Should be very productive. Hope you really do well and that the weather is very nice. Still raining down this way.

Best of luck to you -

Chris

Steve Herschbach
06-05-2011, 04:02 AM
Hi Dave,

Doug had wireless last summer but you need your own computer. Or in my case iPad. Reception was bad. I had to sit in greenhouse to get a signal. So no promises this year.

Tailing piles? More like tailing flats these days!

tvanwho
06-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Good luck Steve.Will you be mainly listening for whisper signals? What pick do you prefer to use ?

-Tom V.

Barney 11
06-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi Steve, I am going to bring the F75ltd with the 15" coil and also the other two coils. My back up machine is going to be the GMT . I have experimented with it enough to be able to discern the really small from the moderately good sized. My hunting partner will be using the MXT pro with the 10dd and his back up will be be my MXT with some of the other coils. Plans----I have talked to Jack Aken in Atlanta quite abit and he has been super helpful--he has been there six times--in telling me of the routines. Other than that I don't know how else to plan, but I am generally open to options and am ready to go--- Any hints will be appreciated.--lol

Steve Herschbach
06-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi Tom,

Listening for whatever I hear, faint or loud. I will be using the new Hodan Pick (more later).

Barney, there is only one hint, hunt every second you are there. If your coil is not moving you are wasting valuable time.

seeker
06-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Good Luck Steve will be heading up that way soon.....Geo

highbanker58
06-06-2011, 05:39 AM
Barney 11-- Which week will you be up there? Dave

unreel
06-06-2011, 08:30 AM
hi steve well im packed and ready to go. be there the first week and last week. bernie also signed up the last week to. hope to learn alot from you guys when im there. i have a mxtpro and been practicing around the yard so i hope im ready. first time so im all gungho. see ya nextweek. john

Barney 11
06-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Hi Dave, I will be up there on the second week--just about all packed now. I leave Wis on the 12th and will be in Wasilla until the 19th---visiting Sara don't ya know---lol This is going to be a great time---gold or not---hmmmm lol Don

kamikaze1a
06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Hi Steve, sorry that I will miss another year of hunting with you. Mugsy and I will be there 2nd week of July with a couple of others that you know. Kind of nervous about how well I'll be adapting to the VLF thing though...

Good luck and I know you will do well again! Please leave a couple of nuggets for us! ;)

Steve Herschbach
06-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Hi Gaine,

Yeah, I miss you guys too. But you will have a good time with Keith and John and whoever else goes that week for sure. If this year goes well maybe we will meet at Ganes next summer. I may sign up for a month.

Ganes is in some regards easier than Moore Creek. Not so much as in finding the gold but more deluxe accomadations and a MUCH larger bulldozer. Have a good VLF set to just reject iron and dig. Do not leave the Minelab behind but do not use it in the pushes. They are pure competition hunts so cover ground fast and look for easy targets. You can get more serious later. Good news is you sleep in a cabin, and have all the amenities of home. Do not take too many clothes, just use the washers and dryers every couple days. I am packing a set of clothes to wear and a set to wash, no more.

Use the Minelab later in the day when the rush is over and you can take your time. Good luck to you!

kamikaze1a
06-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks Steve! Good luck to you too!

Mugsy
06-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Steve,
Sounds like you've got all your bases covered and are ready to hit the road. I heard that you may be around on July 16th, the day we return from Ganes, maybe lunch or dinner will be in order. Looking forward to meeting up again and getting the low down on your other upcoming trip.
Keep us informed, the best you can, on how things are going. You've talked me into taking the 5000 now I need to decide what other machine to bring. I've always had good luck with the GB2 and the 14'" coil up there so it may come along also (maybe a 705?????).
Anyway say hi to everyone and have a great time.

Keith
P.S. When will you be back in Anchorage? I'd like to give you a call.

Steve Herschbach
06-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Hi Keith,

I am in the office the next two days and then back the week of the 27th. I will be up in the Fortymile on July 16 though so unfortunately that will not work.

Bob(AK)
06-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Steve, we know you will do well at Ganes, but do leave a few for Gaine and Keith and perhaps myself if I get back there. It is getting tougher finding nuggets there, but we know there are still some biggies left to be found, good luck, Bob

Steve Herschbach
06-11-2011, 04:43 AM
Hi Bob,

Hope to see you out there again someday. Maybe next summer?

Barney 11
06-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Leaving this am for Minneapolis to arrive in Anchorage on the 12th and on to Wasilla . Anyone wnting to go on a hunt from the 12th to the 18 th give a holler here and I will trry to geyt back to you----otherwise it is on to Ganes on the 19th, should be a really good time.

Jim Extreme Novice
07-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Good evening everyone, I am new to this site and to everything it takes to find some color. Living/working in Anchorage I made my 7th trip to Crow Creek and finally found my first specs of gold…

Reading about your experiences at Ganes Creek, I may have jumped the gun by not researching more and suddenly decided to go to Cripple Creek for two weeks. I’ll be their
23 Jul – 7 Aug 11. It’s more to gain some wisdom/education from all of you experienced people out their…

I have been trying to decide on buying a 2” dredge outfit or a nice detector. What is everyone’s input? Maybe my best bet would be to purchase a decent metal detector and go to Ganes Creek in hopes of finding enough gold to pay for it. What route would you go? What detector? I am on a limited budget, but there is the credit card. I am a novice all around, thank goodness for the internet. Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

I am retired US Air Force and now working at Joint Base Elmendorf/Richardson. I love Alaska and will be here until I retire again!!!

Jim

unreel
07-05-2011, 08:44 AM
hi jim i was a novice to but i went to ganes creek and had a mxt for my detector and had a great experence there. i had to figure out the detector and when i had it set up i was able to find 3 nuggets with it. they totaled just over an oz. so i was real happy with what i got. if you are going to cripple river talk to kevin hoagland on detecting and he will show you all you need to know. he is from minelab and is a great instructor. good luck john