View Full Version : Pulse Devil - My $10,000 is safe

Steve Herschbach
06-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Since around 2003 or a little before a guy named Dave Emery has been promising to release various versions of a detector most commonly called the Pulse Devil. The unit described would have been revolutionary in that it was claimed to equal the depth of the most powerful PI detectors while at the same time having discrimination equal to a good VLF detector. Such a detector would make virtually everything else on the market obsolete.

Quite a few years ago on another forum I offered a $10,000 reward to the first person to deliver such a machine to me.

At one point Dave was so close to delivering, or so he thought, he lined up some potential dealers, including myself. But an unfortunate pattern developed. Dave would post on a forum or contact people directly and tell them the unit was due soon or that they would be sent one soon to evaluate. And time after time it never happened. Endless excuses were made but you can tell me you are going to do something and not only a few times before I will not believe you anymore. It is one thing to give the benefit of the doubt, and another to just be gullible.

So last October when Dave once again surfaced on another forum saying units were ready and boxes stacked in his house getting ready to ship I called him out on it. The usual defenders surfaced and recalled my $10,000 promise from years before. And I said, sure, I said that, but it was not meant to be forever. So since Dave was once again saying the Pulse Devil was done, finished, ready to ship, all issues fixed and settled, as of last October, that I gave him until the end of May 2011 to get a unit to me so I could take it to Ganes Creek. And if he did that I promised to pay him $10,000 or give $10,000 to a charity of his choice. But no delivery by end of May and end of offer.

And once again, third time now, that Dave has stood me up. May is past and I leave for Ganes Creek tomorrow without a Pulse Devil. My offer is therefore off the table. Really too bad though as I really believed at one time that we were on the verge of a revolution in detector technology. But as we approach the 10th anniversary of the Pulse Devil saga I must sadly conclude it was a false hope.

Jim Hemmingway
06-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Hi Steve…yes it has been a long saga with the much anticipated Pulse Devil. Many hobbyists take your view…me too. That said here’s a recent quote on a different forum from Reg about this subject…

“Dave Emery has been working on a discriminating PI for years now. Most people who have followed that history know it as the Pulse Devil. Later versions are now called the Nemesis. Does this detector exist? Yes and several people have seen a working model. Will his design really work? Yep, it will. When will it be available? Only Dave can answer that. We have been waiting for years now for reasons I won't go into. Regardless, it will be when Dave is ready and able.”

Perhaps Reg has information not available to most forum readers, who knows. Here’s the link...

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?34,1440805

Jim.

Reno Chris
06-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I used to believe too, but I'm convinced that the only way anything will ever come of Dave's design is if he sells it to someone else. For lack of resources, health and other commitments, etc. - He's just not capable of bringing it to market.

While some working prototypes have been seen, no one really knows what their level of performance actually is. So will it work? - yes in the sense it can find metal, it works. In the sense that it really can compete with existing PI units like the TDI or the GPX there is no publicly demonstrated evidence that it can.

I have a high degree of respect for Reg, but those who continue to believe are ignoring the reality the lack of progress on the project for the last 5 years and being unrealistically generous.

Minermike
06-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Just buy a Minelab GPX -5000. I own two Minelab detectors, but not this one. If I had the money and was going to put some serious time and effort into finding nuggets, this is the detector that I would buy. Always buy the best and allow some time to learn how it works. If you can get tips off somebody else that has one and uses one, then you will find nuggets that will pay for the machine.

goldmann
06-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Here is some correspondence with Dave last year:

Hi Dave, If you ever invent(and maybe Patent) good discrimination (even a very basic, simple analog dial) for a Pulse Induction unit. I will almost guarantee you, you will be a millionaire and a very wealthy person in metal detector sales. Such a thing does not exist as of yet. BUT who ever puts out of the first one will have MANY 1000's of units in sales. I tell you that in honesty. Keep up the good work.

"There are several versions of the Pulse Devil. The first to be released is a super deep seeking detector called the Nemesis. This detector has a variable discrimination control which can be set from small nails to pulltabs. The discrimination method is being patent applied for. It has to be seen to be believed as it allows detection of small coins and jewelry near to and even beneath iron objects."

Still no units out as of yet? If he has that PI discriminating technology he should sell it to Minelab.

Reno Chris
06-12-2011, 03:08 PM
It has to be seen to be believed

That puts it in perfect perspective - No one has seen it, so no one should believe it.

When I see it, I'll believe it.

Chris

Jim Hemmingway
06-12-2011, 08:34 PM
That puts it in perfect perspective - No one has seen it, so no one should believe it.

When I see it, I'll believe it.

Chris

Thats exactly how I see it too Chris...deeds speak...not empty, unfulfilled chatter on some forum...

Jim.

goldmann
06-13-2011, 10:50 AM
That's humorous and true Chris.! I agree with you both. Also here is what someone else said:

Metal Detector - Musky & Nemesis - Mean machine - Page 3 - Geotech Forums
http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15489&page=3

12-23-2009, 02:31 PM
JCPinCt
Junior Member Join Date: May 2005

I think just about everyone has given up on Dave. I read where he was to be in England testing this month, anyone in England see him?? I doubt it. This is one of the sadest stories of promises made, and no results. Either the detector just won't do what he wanted, or he just isn't any kind of businessman to deal with, or just a habitual liar. Any business that would keep making promises over a 4 year peroid with absolutely no results, would be out of business. I think he is out of business and is just a dreamer. I just have no idea why he would bother to string the metal detecting community along like he has with all these endless promises. Maybe some people just need to see their name in print. Very sad.

and

Metal Detector - Mean machine - Page 4 - Geotech Forums
http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=104609#post104609

tvanwho
06-13-2011, 02:53 PM
When I was there and he did find 1 gold nugget with it, more by luck than skill I think,maybe a grammer,don't remember how deep?
It was a small blue control box with a small meter and 8 inch round coil as I recall and looked homemade.

-Tom V.

Steve Herschbach
10-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Interestingly, within a week of my starting this thread Dave showed up at http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=129590#post129595

He takes a very injured tone. "These people invested absolutely nothing yet they demand the right to say that they can never again trust me as a person".

If I read that right the only way I should expect the truth is if I invest money in something. Seriously? And what is this demanding a right to not trust somebody? I was always taught trust is something you earn.

If Dave really cared at all then all he has to do is let a credible third person evaluate the Pulse Devil. Like he has said he would do for - wait for it - years. And does so again at the referenced post. But that was back in June so here we go again.

Some people may think I am being mean to Dave. The fact is I just want him to do what he says. The only person setting dates that get missed is Dave.

mark a
11-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Hi,
just noted Dave has been posting again on geotech forum saying delay was because of an accident he had recently.
Hopefully they will be on sale soon.

Steve Herschbach
11-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Suspension of Disbelief - http://www.mediacollege.com/glossary/s/suspension-of-disbelief.html

SiliquaeSid
12-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Believe what you want about Dave and the Pulse Devil. I've SEEN one, HELD one and USED one AND I've seen the schematics and at it does EXACTLY what it claims to do.

If Dave has problems with delivery and production I personally will foot his production costs to the tune of whatever is required.

YES, Dave has suffered a LOT or set backs, I've seen the X-Rays of his broken wrist and I know Dave is a perfectionist. He has spent TWO years refining the design and reducing the costs, and on the 16 January I will have one of these machines.

Get yer cheque book out Steve because when you hand that cheque to Dave, I will fly over from the UK and take a picture of you doing it!:cool:

Steve Herschbach
12-28-2011, 02:36 PM
No, the offer has expired. It is very nice you have seen and held one since I was told personally by Dave that I would have one in my hands YEARS ago. When a person calls me two years in a row and tells me they will do something and then years go by and they never do it I stop paying attention to them. I guess we just do things different in Alaska. Here, your word is your bond. I take committments I make very seriously, and in my world excuses are just that - excuses. I have no sympathy for Dave whatsoever, and the only person he can blame for that is himself for continually and repeatedly saying he will do things that he then does not do.

Reno Chris
12-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Dave has spent a lot more than two years "refining" the PD - he had a working prototype at Gaines Creek in 2006 or 2007.

As an Engineer myself, I understand the perfectionist thing - its a do loop to infinity. You can always make it (whatever it is) better.

So the unit you are supposedly getting on Jan 16, is that a production model or just another prototype for testing?

If Dave ever actually produces a unit that does what he claims (note - I aint holding my breath) - people will be interested in it because it would do things no other unit can do. However until I see something real and not just another prototype for testing, I remain completely skeptical.

Jonathan Porter
12-28-2011, 05:54 PM
.............If Dave ever actually produces a unit that does what he claims (note - I aint holding my breath) - people will be interested in it because it would do things no other unit can do. However until I see something real and not just another prototype for testing, I remain completely skeptical.

And so say all of us......... ever heard the story of 'Peter and the Wolf'?

JP

tvanwho
01-02-2012, 07:08 AM
don't ferget Doubting Thomas from the Bible story too.

-T

Steve Herschbach
01-02-2012, 09:56 AM
There is absolutely no doubt on my part.

bill-costa rica
01-02-2012, 04:39 PM
and now we have the QED.

i guess we have to wait and see with this one also.

bill-cr

seeker
01-07-2012, 03:48 AM
We've been waiting and waiting and waiting Yikes Geo

Steve Herschbach
01-12-2012, 06:04 AM
04-05-2006, 05:23 AM by Dave Emery

I am currently getting the production version of the Pulse Devil ready.The good news is that everything is now falling into place. I will soon have the first production cases ready.

Date: December 18, 2006 08:57PM copy of post by Dave Emery

OK, the final pre production version is now being built. I am extremely confident with the final design.

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:52 PM by Reg Sniff

... the plan is the Pulse Devil will be available for sale in the US, this year.

Monday, 12 March 2007 by by Ismael Jones

As you may have seen the Pulse Devil is near ready for testing. Speaking to Dave Emery, the creator of the detector last night on the phone, he said that our Australian testing detectors are being manufactured and should have them in a few weeks

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:27 PM by Ridge Runner

Dave Emery on another forum said he will take delivery of about 20 Nemesis in two weeks

Date: September 24, 2009 09:21PM by Dave Emery

The Pulse Devil is finished, tested and ready to go. I had a number of unfortunate circumstances which pushed my working on it to the back of my list of things to do. Right now all that is in the past.

Date: November 21, 2009 10:51PM by Dave Emery

The Pulse Devil's are alive and well. I hope to have the first detectors ready before Christmas. I have recently taken delivery of the first twenty sets of metalwork and cases that I am have had custom made for me by a local machine shop.

Date: January 11, 2010 04:37PM by Dave Emery

I am working as fast as I can to get the first detectors out the door. I am getting very close to releasing the first units.

Date: September 29, 2010 03:51PM by Dave Emery

I am making some final tests at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina before freezing the design and going into manufacture. My local machine shop has delivered the first shafts and drilled and cut out control housings. My living room is stacked with boxes.

Date: June 16, 2011, 04:19 AM by Dave Emery

It is my hope that you will soon be reading a number of test reports from a number of people who's names you will recognize from posts on this forum. This will soon be followed by the release of the detectors. Dave.

Date: November 18, 2011, 05:25 AM by Dave Emery

As to the availability of the Pulse Devil's, most everything is ready to go. The detectors meet the strict European certifications that are required by law so there is nothing stopping me from selling either in the USA or Europe. My local machine shop has done a great job on the mechanical issues and I have a great circuit board company which I deal with. The last hurdle I am working on is a coil winding machine.

Date: November 19, 2011, 04:32 AM by Dave Emery

As to the status of my detectors, they are technically ready for production but due to my health issues I have not been in a position to put in the required amount of time to ready them for sale. This I assure you will change very soon as I have someone to manage the production issues.

Date: July 2, 2012, 11:17 PM by Dave Emery

It has been a long time since I last updated you all. OK, no more excuses, I have been suffering from uncontrolled blood pressure for a number of years. Unfortunately it is getting worse. I make jokes with my doctors but they seem to have stopped laughing along with me. As I live in the USA, the health-care situation is also extremely expensive. A single visit to the doctor costs me about US $300.00. This and the cost of medicines forces me to work for the highest dollars I can get which is a consultant. I have been very lucky to date to land a few really good contracts which have paid my bills so far. Meanwhile my metal detector design and manufacture has obviously taken a second place. ......... We decided to leave our corrupt city and head for the country. We are presently waiting to sell our house in order to move to Florida. ......... My plan is to post a message after I move to Florida to let you know the schedule for my producing the Pulse Devil's.

BIG DOG
01-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Had to join to put in my comment Steve.

I say the Devil will be on the market real soon! About the same year as the QED !http://www.messentools.com/images/emoticones/humor/www.MessenTools.com-Humor-cabritafeliz.gif (http://www.messentools.com/en/msn-emoticon-details-and-download/id/1570/)

SiliquaeSid
04-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Now don't get me wrong, I agree that the delays are nothing short of a joke, even I began to doubt Dave would get this thing on the market, but as I said I have USED ONE and IT WORKS, VERY well indeed.

Dave does suffer from the loop to infinity when if comes to making the machine JUST right. IMHO he needs to get something on the market then release all his other models once the main model in bringing in the dough.

When this machine hits the market, just HOW many of you who are now having a very public gloat, will;

1) Apologise

2) Look VERY silly indeed

3) Produce anything of a similar nature

Steve Herschbach
04-16-2012, 01:30 PM
I for one have never questioned the existance of the Pulse Devil, so....

1) Apologise for what?

2) Look silly for what?

3) Why, if Dave's machine hits the market, would I produce something similar?

Reno Chris
04-16-2012, 03:01 PM
on the 16 January I will have one of these machines.

So tell us about your use of the machine over the last 3 months. I am interested to hear how it performs.
Dave's perfectionist do loop to infinity has no stop point, so those waiting for him to reach perfection will necessarily be disappointed.

geowizard
12-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Yes, it is a do-loop to infinity.

"Every design should be as good as possible... but not better"; Albert Einstein.

Time Domain Induction metal detection is limited by the laws of physics. The system is - as the name implies, a measurement of a detected signal over a period of time after the electromagnetic pulse is turned off.

TDI can discriminate large iron from small iron targets; slow voltage decay vs time and large decay vs time.

TDI can discriminate shallow targets (early time) from deeper targets (later time).

The University of British Columbia has done extensive research. With appropriate mathematical computation - magnetically permeable metals can be discriminated from non-permeabale. "In the lab" not in a hand held detector in the field. References available on request.

- Geowizard