View Full Version : Week One Ganes Creek

Steve Herschbach
06-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi,

Sorry so little communication, but no time it seems between getting up and going to bed for much more than hunting and food. Weathers decent, bugs not bad at all, but gold has been very hard to come by. Pushes have been giving up little gold. Only one person with a nugget over an ounce. Total for thirteen people under 10 ounces. 7 or 8 maybe, have not had time to add it up. Good people, good conditions, good time. But though I am finding gold every day so far I have less than an ounce. Hopefully tomorrow will see more gold.

Sorry, but if you post a lot of questions expect short answers. Time for bed!

Loobie
06-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the update. Glad you have good weather. Sounds like tough hunting, but you pro's always come through. Like Mel Fisher used to say....Todays the day! Good luck to all.

highbanker58
06-17-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm glad you're leaving a few behind for the rest of us to find.It sure puts the pressure on Doug to get some Gold on the t-shirt at the end of the week. Dave

Steve Herschbach
06-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Final numbers this morning as half the group heads out to McGrath. 9.38 oz in 48 nuggets. I found 12 nuggets that added up to 0.86 oz. If anyone ever told me I would go to Ganes and find a dozen nuggets and it would add up to under an ounce I would have old them they were nuts! But do not read much into it. Weird week is all I can say so on to Week 2 and better results.

Another cool clear morning and a free day for us hunters staying over. Only one decent nugget today could beat my weeks total so off I go!

Jim Hemmingway
06-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Thanks Steve for the updates. Sometimes things go south on us...just the luck of the draw that's par for the course around these parts...but the law of averages usually comes around. Lets hope things improve over the coming week.

If things don't show signs of improving on the 'pushes' it might be a good idea to move over to a different area for a day or two even if it means using the 5000 and putting-up with digging more iron. Could it be that maybe the area being bulldozed is simply less productive ground?

I know fresh surfaces are very hard to resist, but then...one good size nugget at depth from a 'worked-out' area would put a different spin on things. Anyway...just a thought Steve...good luck!!! :)

Jim.

highbanker58
06-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Steve- thanks for the timely updates. Waiting for Doug to post them is tough, as busy as he is trying to keep you guys busy. If the push piles are down to the bottom these days, that would mean it was the first thing the dredge took out of the bottom of the creek ,way back when. And that could mean it was the stuff that had been laying on the stream bed for CENTURIES, mmmm maybe that would mean BIGGER chunks that wouldn't fit thru a 3/4 screens they had on that dredge. I'll be there in 6 days 23 hours and 45 minutes and find out. Dave

Loobie
06-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Wow!......I honestly didn't see what happened happen. Hopefully the next week will be better. Myself....I can't wait to get out of this 96 degree heat

Mugsy
06-18-2011, 06:15 PM
OK Steve,
Enough is enough, time to get to work and start finding those nuggets.

Keith

Steve Herschbach
06-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Hi Jim,

Ganes Creek has a huge area. Different areas are bulldozed each day, never one twice in a week. Miss a push at your peril. Last summer the pushes were poor for me, I skipped a day and found gold on my own. But that day was the best day of dozing and I regretted it. Will not happen again.

But you have the right idea. You have three or four hours each evening to hunt where you will, and I hunt old pushes for missed nuggets or old areas back in the bushes. Both have been giving me gold. Last year more than the pushes.

unreel
06-19-2011, 07:09 PM
i was a newbe there the first week and had a good time. not many bugs a little rain and lots of 80 temps. first time detecting and wasnt sure how to doanything so kind of wandered around. first day hit a nugget that i kicked out with my boot a .79 er. next day nothing 3rd day got a .35er just about 2" deep and on the 4th day a .06er only an inch deep. had a great time and i will be back on the last week again. some really nice grayling in the river so will bring my fishing pole along. its a first class outfit and would recomend it to everyone.