View Full Version : Ganes Creek Week 1 & 2 Synopsis

Steve Herschbach
06-28-2011, 07:54 PM
The information that used to reside here has been updated and moved to a permanent location at Ganes Creek Gold with Fisher F75 and Minelab GPX 5000 (http://www.detectorprospector.com/steves-mining-journal/ganes-creek-alaska-fisher-f75-minelab-gpx-5000.htm)

outnaboutnak
06-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Beautiful pieces Steve, thanks for showing them. Could you put a size reference in the next picture?

silver dog doug
06-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Good looking Gold Steve. Where else can you have a great 2 week vacation, and have it all paid for with the gold that you found. Mabe my trip to Y.T. and Chicken will help pay for Ganes next year, sure hope so. If it doesn't, I know that it will be a great trip anyway. Doug

unreel
06-29-2011, 08:42 AM
hi i was there the first week and had never detected before. the first afternoon i was wandering off by myself when i picked up a signal but wasnt sure what it was so i decided to dig everything and scraped off the top of a small berm with my boot and out rolled a .790z nugget. dum luck i guess. got nothing the 2nd day and the 3rd day i was going through an area that had lots of boot tracks already there when i got another signal on top of a pile and the detector said 1-2" deep so i scraped it off with my fingers and out fell a .35ozer. did a loud whoopee on that one. the area had been done by others and i was just going slow and off by myself. later along the road where everybody had gone back and forth i managed to get a .04 piece. i was real happy with my finds as ive never detected before. its a great camp with good food and facilities and crew. i will be going back again in aug. and get the big ones i left to grow up a little. john

aupangary
06-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Hey unreel, what kind of detector were you using if you don't mind saying

shaftsinkerawc
06-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the update Steve. Great looking GOLD.

kamikaze1a
06-29-2011, 02:51 PM
That's a really nice poke Steve! I guess I had better take my lucky rabbit's foot...

So what happened to MC?

Steve Herschbach
06-29-2011, 05:07 PM
The big nugget is 2.5 inches long. All the gold was found by my Fisher F75 Special Edition except the largest, found with the Minelab GPX 5000

The Moore Creek guys dropped the ball on the pay-to-mine and it fizzled out, sorry to say. You will have a good time Gaine. It was easier to find gold at Moore Creek but I have to admit I like that more solid Ganes Creek gold better than the Moore Creek "rocks with gold in them".

unreel
06-29-2011, 05:30 PM
whites mxt 300

kamikaze1a
06-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Sorry to hear about MC. It must be hard to hear about your "baby" stumbling like that...

I am definitely hoping for a nice piece to hang from my neck chain. I've always admired that choice nugget you wear. Thanks for the info and wish us a bunch of luck!

Jim Hemmingway
06-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Well Steve, your synopsis reflects the reality of diminishing returns that is inevitable. However, you make a very strong case for Ganes to continue with this program. Let's face it, the vast majority of us are in this pursuit for a number of good reasons besides financial gain.

Its probably safe to say the majority of hobbyists have spent more dollars on equipment, travel and associated expenses than have ever been compensated by the value of finds. It is so easy to overlook the everyday fun of detecting for a gold nugget. Thats aside from the friendships, the great outdoors, and the campfires.

I suspect hobbyists are a more resilient bunch than some might think, and with that in mind I have no doubt that many gold hunters are quite able to lower their expectations to some extent while still willing to undertake the expense of Ganes etc. For many it is still an experience of a lifetime...

Deeds speak Steve, and your gold is still a mighty alluring prospect in anyone's book. You had two weeks doing what we enjoy most and got good gold. Did you pretty much use the 11" DD exclusively?

Jim.

Steve Herschbach
06-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Hi Gaine,

You have a geat shot at Ganes. Just hunt hard and go get it!!

Jim, the 11" DD got me all but the largest nugget. I never did hook the 15" up again after the first half day. In my opinion the F75 Special Edition was a killer but the 15" is too heavy for more than special places.

Jim Hemmingway
06-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Jim, the 11" DD got me all but the largest nugget. I never did hook the 15" up again after the first half day. In my opinion the F75 Special Edition was a killer but the 15" is too heavy for more than special places.

I was afraid that might be the case Steve. Too heavy on the front end. I've found the same with the new 19" elliptical mono for the TDI Pro...can't imagine swinging that damn thing all day. But it'll be put to use in select areas that are low in trash but where I know good deeper silver has been found in the past. Many thanks...

Jim.