View Full Version : California Gold Fields prospecting

Reno Chris
06-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Spent the last few days in the goldfields of California doing a bit of detecting. It was nice to be back, fun to visit with everyone, and the weather was just great, except at the very end. After Bob Dansie left, the next day a storm rolled in. We still got a days detecting in on Tuesday, but I was chased back home to Reno a day early by the heavy rains (I was in a tent and it was pouring down in sheets with waves of water rolling across the ground). When I saw the storm, I figured there would be no more detecting for a while, and I decided to beat it home rather than spend the night trying not to get soaked in the tent.

The photo shows 4 Gold bug Pro smaller gold and one 2.1 gram nugget picked up with the GPX5000. With the GPX, I was using the 11 inch mono in sharp mode. It was down a good 8-9 inches.

If anyone wonders about the GB Pro, it certainly will hit the small ones. The smallest of the 4 weighs only 0.014 grams (worth 67 cents at $1500 gold).

The GB Pro is a good little machine. On the other hand, I would not say the GB pro is better than the GB2. So if you have a good GB2, I don't think there is any need to rush out and buy a GB pro to replace it. However there has been some question among prospectors if the GB Pro is hot on tiny gold like the GB2. I can say for sure with that little 6 inch coil, its plenty hot on the smaller gold. It also shares the same issues with heavily mineralized ground and hot rocks that all VLF machines do.

However in mild ground its great at picking up gold and hangs in there with the GB2, which so many folks view as the industry standard for VLF gold machines. Because of the way its made, it can be produced at a much lower cost than the GB2, which makes it a great machine for beginners, and those wanting a good machine to go after the smaller gold that some of the PI machines have a tougher time with.

Jim Hemmingway
06-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the write-up and photo Chris. There has been some confusing chatter on the forums about the new Gold Bug Pro but your comments and evidence certainly clarify what I need to know about the unit. Its good to see itíll signal over very small gold. I imagine the Gold Bug Proís lower frequency will surpass the GB2 for depth in tough mineralization too. As well, forum posts indicate itís a pretty fair unit for coins. All this at a very reasonable price.

Staying in a tent!!! I reckon you were too remote to get the trusty trailer on-site. Its good to be out and about again Chris, you got some good gold and Iím willing to bet you had a great timeÖsuch memories are worth their weight in gold I think we can both agree. :)

Jim.

kamikaze1a
06-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Nice clean nuggets Chris! How's your hardrock mine doing?

Reno Chris
06-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Jim -
the GB Pro is a good unit for the value, and easy to learn for beginners. The only place I'd say the Pro clearly exceeds the ability of the GG2 is in its potential to be used as a coin and jewelry machine for schools and parks - its much more practical than the GB2 for those purposes. ie, its a much better dual purpose machine.

As far as my mine property They are actively drilling the area right now. Should have results in a couple months. If you watch the video, my area is the "newly soil sampled area to the north" at Wind Mountain where they are expecting to extend and expand the existing known ore bodies.

For More info See:
http://www.smartstox.com/interviews/bva/

http://www.bravadagold.com/en/news/26/bravada-reports-east-manhattan-drill-results,-continued-drilling-at-wind-mountain,-nevada.php

http://www.bravadagold.com/en/news/25/drilling-underway-at-bravadas-wind-mountain-gold/silver-project-in-northwestern-nevada.php