View Full Version : best of the last ten hunt

little man
07-05-2011, 05:13 PM
well we been using the TDI Pro on some hard hit place the trash was not bad in most of the site so we could run it in all after you get use to it you can tell a coin sound from a nail we got the folded 8 5X10 razorback coil that help out in the trash in the place some time you can hunt and not hit any good target all day we look for the oldies site we can find the TDI Pro help me find some coins the other have miss we found two 1/2 dime 1848 1853 two seat dimes 1841-0 1857 and one bar 1907 and two IH penny 1883 and 1900 on the 1841 dime is a small 0 if you work slow and stay with it there still good coins to find out there just work each target slow good and good hunting

Jim Hemmingway
07-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi little man...you've made some great coin finds, congratulations. :cool:

I found your comment interesting about hearing the difference between coins and nails. It depends on where your GB is set as to how clear lo-hi-lo tones can be heard over nails, but often enough its more of a low tone "boing" then a slight pause followed by another low tone "boing". Or sometimes a lo-hi-lo tone may sound much like a "boing-b-boing". Usually the GB control can be set so that you hear a definite high tone in the middle of the overall signal.

I will say this though, using the 5"X 10" mono elliptical makes it a bit harder for me to hear the tones clearly compared to the 12" DF stock coil. Probably because there's not as much 'width' to the signal using the 5"X 10" coil.

Do you mind my asking what is the GB setting for a ground balance over your soil? Thanks...

Jim.

little man
07-06-2011, 05:19 AM
it run from 7 to 8 and the find just up from off we got some ground at 6 but that not ever were we hunt at a slow speed and look at the target from all side some time we dig a nail or to they are the hard one some time you just got to dig in heavy trash make hard but some of the site have hunted hard for year so we dig all the good deep target we use the DF 12 AND 10x14 mono in the site that not got a lot of trash we spend a lot of time in my test garden we got over 50 thing in it they say it take a 100 hour of hunting to start to know what your detector is telling you to me it a 100 hour in the test garden to we have dime next to a nail nail over dime we got a number 10 cast iron coffee pot at 4 feet deep we spend more time there than we do hunting we see how Target sound when it dry we hunt by sound that why we love the TDI Pro we like to get the 14 mono coil but right now we got to some thing for the boy now he going to be a good one

Jim Hemmingway
07-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks little man for sharing your ideas here. Between this post and your post on the TDI thread my impression is that your ground is fairly moderate. What kind of depth do you get with the 5"X 10" folded eight coil on penny / dime coins?

I think its a very good idea to plant a testbed with various targets buried in it. In some respects it won't be ideal but it can certainly provide some relative idea about minimum depth you can expect with targets in real world conditions that naturally settle into undisturbed ground. It is also a good place to compare detectors side-by-side with the knowledge that you're looking at relative depth / sens to targets, but that target ID or discrimination on deeper targets with VLF units will be something less than adequate compared to natural ground targets.

Testbeds are an excellent place to learn about and understand what it means to hunt in disturbed ground environments, for example ploughed fields, loose mine tailings, urban renewal sites, or anyplace where municipal authorities are moving earth around.

Jim.

little man
07-07-2011, 04:44 AM
it take about 5 year for a test bed to settle and we get 7 to 8" with the folded 8 we do a lot of hunting were they are moving the ground around the city is good about let me hunt were they are working as long as I don't get in the way we find old pipe and corner marker when they need me to work out for me the little town here was a big coal mining town at one time so a lot good place to hunt the city tire down house or make roads bigger the best place was the old LN station they made a parking lot on the folded 8 we just got start hunting with we can run the gain up high in some we could run wide open but we back it off 7 or 8 ground here real good we have a lot man made iron to put up with one place we call iron hell it were they unload the trains lot of buying and selling when on there at one time in it day 1870 to the 1900 there were 6000 live here now about 1500 at the most

Jim Hemmingway
07-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks Little Man...those depths in the test plot are about what I anticipated. Have you tried to obtain the iron lo-hi-lo tones when working in iron infested spots, or do you just try to eliminate iron junk altogether by running the unit somewhere between GB2 and GB4 in high conductive mode?

Jim.

little man
07-08-2011, 04:45 AM
if there a lot iron we run hi GB 2 to 4 and if a hard hit place we try running in all on the deep iron some time you just got to dig we will dig a nail or to hate to miss a old seated coin razorback 10X14 is hard to beat on the deep target it will GB out at 6 to 7 were the 12" DF GB out ay 7 to 8 we not got to work with the folded 8 a lot but so far it look good in the trash site