View Full Version : Gold Fields

jarrow
07-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Could someone with field experence with the AT Pro tell me how it preforms in the gold field on nuggets, what size and depth. I will be grateful for all replys
Thank You Joe

jarrow
07-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Has no one used the AT Pro in the gold field

Jim Hemmingway
07-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi Joe and welcome to the forum. :cool:

Steve H. indicated he will be using the AT Pro to check the bottom and sides of his dredging hole. He returns in roughly two weeks and will be able to discuss the AT Pro's features and performance with you.

There are members on this forum who have used the unit, but at this time of year they're spending a good part of their time outdoors...not on a computer. Try and be patient awhile longer, hopefully someone will be able to supply you with their results in the field.

Jim.

Jim Hemmingway
07-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Joe...found a couple of posts here, one includes a video comparison of the At Pro to the Garrett Scorpian. Here are the links...

http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/895-Garrett-AT-Pro

http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/931-VIDEO-Garrett-Scorpion-vs-Garrett-AT-Pro-on-a-.1-Gram-Gold-Nugget

Hope these will be of some help to you.... :)

Jim.

jarrow
07-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks Jim, I appreciate your reply. I should have known everyone would be hard at having fun.
Joe

Jim Hemmingway
07-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Joe...came across another video. Keep in mind these are air tests. You may find something relating to gold on YouTube...I haven't checked...

http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/814-Garrett-AT-PRO-Testing-GOLD-NUGGETS-also-depth-test-vs-GTI-2500.

Jim.

jarrow
07-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks Jim, looks like the AT did well in the air test

TheSeeker
07-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Hi Joe, the current issue (Jul/Aug 2011) of "Gold Prospectors" magazine that just hit the news stands has a nice Garrett AT Pro field test article on pages 42-43, con't p.71 & p.80 by Chris Gholson. The review is specific to use for gold detecting and might be helpful for your questions.

Jim Hemmingway
07-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Joe...the link below may be similar to what is mentioned by TheSeeker above. Its by Chris G. as well, from Lost Treasure...

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/garrett-pro-field-test

Jim.

Reno Chris
07-14-2011, 07:42 AM
I still stand by my comment that while this machine is a fine choice for coin shooting and like applications, its a poor choice for a gold detector if that is what you are really wanting. The fact that Chris G. gets a weak signal from a 1 gram nugget only an inch deep in his review is a testimony for this. Steve is using this detector underwater because of its waterproof characteristic to check for larger nuggets that might get missed.

Jim Hemmingway
07-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Chris....I agree fully with you. Although I have not used the unit, the available information suggests the AT Pro is better suited towards coin and jewelery hunting. To my view, any unit that does not feature a threshold based all-metal motion mode is unsuitable for prospecting. However, since the man has asked for information on this model... we've tried to get whatever forum information is available linked to him.

Reading on the other thread, I was quite pleased you made those timely comments. I tried to nudge the fellow into looking at other models and twice encouraged him to get a demonstration at a dealers. I felt that once that happened, he would be able to make a far better-informed decision...if indeed prospecting was the priority.

Jim.

jarrow
07-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Thanks to all whom have replyed to my question.

jpiii
07-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Jim, thanks for the advice that you gave me on my post about looking for my first detector. Your gentle prodding to help me in the right direction were not lost on me, and Chris' comments were very important... I think any new person in the hobby would be well guided to carefully consider what you two have to say.

Unfortunately, in Valdez, AK I am 350 miles from the nearest dealer; a demo of different models isn't feasible unless I'm travelling to Anchorage for business. Instead, heavy research is critical to ensure that I'm confident that my choices that arrive in the mail are the right ones! Before I decided on the ML 705 (which arrived yesterday via FedEx from AMDS!), I read as much as one could read: manuals of multiple models, reviews, field tests, metal detecting books and forum posts. At some undefinable point I was starting to be able to read "between the lines" of many of the reviews. The AT Pro has a very robust feature set that caused me to re-think my prospecting priority in favor of a waterproof unit that I perceived as a more "all-around" unit. Finally, even though I have the tiniest of prior experience but feeling fairly educated on what was out there, I decided in favor of threshold-based all metal capability of the ML 705 to fit within my originally stated interest in prospecting. Someone else may have chosen differently, and the AT Pro appears to be a wonderful unit, but it wasn't the best choice for me. I suggest someone interested in prospecting and considering in the AT Pro read the excellent responses everyone provided to help clarify some details (post title: "Need advice on my choices for a first detector").

little man
07-15-2011, 02:46 PM
good luck and good hunting post some your finds we like PIC