View Full Version : Ganes Creek; week 4

aupangary
07-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Anyone hear how week 4 is going at Ganes?

Wino
07-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Week four doesn't start until Sunday the 10th

aupangary
07-07-2011, 05:40 AM
Hey, thanks Wino, didn't realize they had that open week. Wonder why that is,maybe to resupply. Will you be going this year?

Wino
07-08-2011, 03:47 AM
Yup,,leaving for Anchorage tomorrow. First time at Ganes, went to Moore Creek for several years. Can't wait!!

highbanker58
07-09-2011, 04:31 PM
They shut down for a week to give everyone a week off.The cook and cat operator went into town(Anch.or McGrath?)for some R&R, they had been out there for a month. They'll come back ready for the new group. The cat operator was really making some NICE DEEP cuts during week 3. Have a great time and try to send a few posts during your week. The greenhouse has the best internet access. Dave

highbanker58
07-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Nobody in Ganes with a smart phone or computer? I thought we would have an update by now, they've been there 3 days.I can only imagine how much GOLD they've found. Dave

TheSeeker
07-16-2011, 11:24 AM
The week 4 gang should be back in Anchorage by now! Hasn't anybody heard anything?,.. Don't they know that all of us Gainies are waiting in front of our computers for any little 'nugget' of information? No pictures or info on the website yet either! The suspense is killing me! How can I get on with the day,.. I guess I'll go swing a detector in the yard and dig up some nails or something to pass the time.

aupangary
07-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Hey Wino, I'm in the same shape as The Seeker about the week 4 gang at Ganes. Please tell us something, can't take the suspense!!!!!!!

Wino
07-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Week four turned up a total (for guests) of only three or four ounces, I don't have the total numbers. The crew turned up a few decent nuggets, with one being a 6 ouncer. Dozing was real good, we just had a bad luck week, the second worse ever. Just one of those things I guess! The weather was cool with a little spotty rain, only one day it drizzled sideways most of the day. Bugs were not too bad,,,nothing like at Moore Creek. Keith had the most gold with probably about three ounces, he had two nuggets that were slightly less than an ounce. No ounce plus nuggets were found. Sorry I don't have correct weights now, but I at least wanted to post some news. I, myself only got 6 nuggets, all small, but I was the best looking of the bunch, and that counts for something!
Had a real good time and I am sure the next week willl have better luck.

Steve in Idaho
07-17-2011, 07:17 AM
If the crew would back off a bit and let the paying customers have a chance, there would be more nuggets and ounces per week.

highbanker58
07-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Wino- Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear your week was an off week. That happened to me back in 2008. There were very few nuggets found, Doug and the crew were scrambling each push to get us in a better area. They really were feeling our pain during that week. Which crew found the 6 oz and was it a slug or a specimen? Dave

Steve Herschbach
07-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Every time I have been at Ganes the visitors hunt a push first, and most give up after a couple hours. The crew hunts at night after the visitors and get what they miss or leave behind. Since there are new pushes every day I have seen little desire by people to go back and hit a previous days push.

The bottom line is if people did not leave nuggets behind for the crew to find the crew would not find any. I suppose if the crew did not hunt that missed gold would go unfound and pushed over the edge the next time the dozer came around. I do not see how that helps anyone.

aupangary
07-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Hey Wino, thanks for the report! Gary

highbanker58
07-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Steve - thats a very good point. In week 3 the crew went out at night after us, and came back skunked every evening.We had a great time trying to make sure we didn't leave anything behind for Dave & Dan. I'm sure we missed a few, we didn't go back for lunch and sometimes dinner.We hunted as long as we could each day. Dave

TheSeeker
07-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks Wino for the long awaited Week 4 report and sorry there wasn't more gold found,.. also, there are now some photos up on the Ganes Creek web page, for anyone interested. Welcome back Steve and well said! Although there is always a friendly, competitive atmosphere, I have always found every member of the Ganes Creek mining staff (and especially Dave, both Dans and Ken) to be helpful with information and detecting tips and always willing to assist the clients with any questions or problems. Like you said, the staff isn't getting anything that the clients didn't have a crack at first and if we're walking away from detectable nuggets, it's our own fault. I can't count how many times I've seen a nugget found in a row that has supposedly been worked once or twice already (not that I've ever allowed this to happen in a row that I worked, I've just seen it happen... Ha!) I say "Good-on Dan" for his find, I just wish there were still more big nuggets for everyone. Hey Wino, how about some more details about where Dan's big one was found and were the other finds mostly upper Ganes, Spaulding or where? Thanks.

Wino
07-18-2011, 06:52 AM
I see Lisa found a nice half ouncer after we left for McGrath,,that's great!! I am sure she was very excited, and deserved it after working so hard all week. She never gave up and was probably handling the lean days, mentally, better than me.
Her family was great to spend time with, some real nice people.
George,,,They pushed so much dirt for us that it all became a blurr. I would say that the gold found that week was in various pushes, all over the place. Ther didn't seem to be any concentrated prioducing areas. I found all of mine the same day down by Spaulding. Dans big nugget, I think was not far from camp upstream, someone with a better memory might want to give us more info.. Suprisingly, the last day, four spots were dozed, including where the 10oz came from the previous week, and no nuggets were found there.
Steve, you are correct, the crew goes out after the clients have a shot at the push first. As you know, everyone hits the push very fast at first to cover as much ground as possible. After that, several of the more experienced wound go over them slowly and more carefully. I was surprised to see what Dan and Dave had found after us. Only wish we had a little more time on them, but after the morning or afternoon 4 hour periods, it's off to new pushes. Some of us did stay through lunch the last few days, giving us another 1.5 or so hours to detect, also went out some after dinner,,,,but damn I was already pretty beat up after detecting all day, I must be getting old,,,Geeez!

aupangary
07-19-2011, 05:28 AM
Ganes Creek- week 5 Any word out yet on how it's going this week? Also, any one
know if some of the " Ganes Creek regulars" are their this week. I know if Steve H was their this week we would have update by now. I don't think he ever sleeps. Ha.

Hey, that's not meant as knock to you guys at Ganes this week. You paid your money to have a chance to find gold,not write stories and best of luck finding some
big ones and lots of 'um. It's just the suspence starts to build each time a new
week starts. Again, lots of luck. Gary