View Full Version : Fisher CZ 20

spotmom
07-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Just curious if I did a dumb thing. I just bought a barely used CZ 20 for what will turn out to be about $430 with my coupons, etc.

Is that an OK price? Any reason I would not like a CZ 20? I kind of wanted a machine I could take in the water.

It was kind of a rash spur of the moment thing. Hope I didn't get burned.

Steve Herschbach
07-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Sounds good to me. The CZ20 is one of the better detectors for water hunting and not bad above water either.

spotmom
08-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Any tips on running it? I have another CZ so I am familiar with it and really like it.

I just got it today and tried it out in the yard where I know there is a bit of lead from our winter back stop and it did not seem to pinpoint as well as I would like (without using the pinpoint button), at least compared to the CZ3D and the 1270. They are right on, this one is a little sloppy. I never have to use the pinpoint buttons with them.

Is there any settings that are best for land and water? I may take it to the lake tomorrow and see what it says. It gave the low iron tone for lead and a mixed iron and high coin on nickles, dimes and pennies, but they weren't buried. I would have thought lead would be a mid tone, along with gold.

Steve Herschbach
08-03-2011, 09:33 PM
It is just an underwater CZ and tunes like a CZ5 but without a meter. If you have the 10.5" coil it is harder to pinpoint with than the 8".

Lead should be mid tone unless it is in the nickel range, then it will read high tone. You should not get iron tones on lead or coins. If it is acting different than the CZs you are used to something may be wrong with the unit.

I do not like the CZ concept of nickels going high tone. Good for coin detecting but bad for jewelry detecting.

spotmom
08-04-2011, 05:44 AM
It has the 8" coil. Guess I will take it to the local park I have been doing good at with the 3D and see how it behaves in the real world.

spotmom
08-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Made it into Mirror Lake with hip waders on Tuesday to test it out and found 56 coins and one kind of junky ring along with the assorted sinkers, toy cars, Pautzkies lids and screw caps. I dug most of the stuff just making sure of what it was saying. So it seems to work. Mostly clad coins, but got one 1956 dime.

Big question, I was not deep enough to submerge the box so I went ahead and just sunk it to see what would happen, and tiny bubbles came out of a corner of the face plate. I did not leave it there long and it worked after that, but is that "normal"? My common sense says that should not happen, but maybe there is a little air in the rolled edge around the face plate.

Sure a lot of glass out there, got some in every scoop! Course, I remember a few lacerations in that lake swimming there as a little kid in the 60's and 70's so not much has changed. I also pulled out some rusty nails and one folding box knife, open and with nicely rusted blade in the shallow water. Ouch!