View Full Version : What we all would like to find

Steve Herschbach
07-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Yours truly holding 23.65 oz nugget found at Ganes Creek in 2010. Photo courtesy of John Iverson.

minerjoe01
07-22-2011, 07:11 AM
I like the hat!!!!

little man
07-22-2011, 08:16 AM
they smell me 20 mile away man now a BIG one

Steve Herschbach
07-22-2011, 09:28 AM
I was joking when in Nevada about swinging a Fisher detector while wearing a White's shirt with a Minelab hat on.

kamikaze1a
07-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Even it's little brother would be nice to find...

Steve Herschbach
07-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Tom found the little brother.

FedFire
07-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Hey steve, help me understand this, is this all stuff found in bucket line dredge tailings? Or is this from un mined ground like and an extinct river path or something along those lines...?

TheSeeker
07-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Hi FedFire, The 23.65 oz nugget was found with a metal detector (Gold Bug 2, I think) by Earl, one of the placer mine employees, when he was bulldozing down towards undisturbed bedrock in preparation for setting up the shaker plant. He hopped out of the dozer to check the layer he was down to and heard that nugget screaming form just a few inches deeper (it would have been under about 12 feet of rock and dirt before the dozing). Earl, being undoubtably the most honest man in the U.S., turned the nugget in to the Ganes Creek mine owners, since he was on work time when he made the discovery. So, to partly answer your question, that nugget was in an old stream channel deposit that probably had never been mined before (perhaps Steve can elaborate more on the geology). Tom's 10.64 oz nugget found a couple weeks ago with an MXT, was on the side slope of a bucket-line tailing pile that had just been freshly pushed for the detectorist group. This is a large version of the more typical of the Ganes Creek nugget finds, which are nuggets that went through the bucket dredge and ended up in the tailing piles because the trommel screen hole size was set up to recover the more plentiful fine gold and small nuggets. Steve's nice 2.6 oz nugget find this season (w/ Minelab 5000) was in the side slope of a small tailing pile hill that hadn't been pushed yet,.. and when it was pushed a couple days later, nothing more was found. Nuggets stuck in chunks of clay and quartzy nuggets (float) also went through the dredge and buried into the tailing piles, unless the chute operator happened to see them. (Steve can probably add some more historical info) The really unique thing about Ganes Creek is how many comparatively large nuggets there were in the placer deposits.

highbanker58
07-23-2011, 02:25 PM
I was there, within 15 feet when Tom found his 10.64 oz.hunk. The cat had just pushed some of the top off the pile and the nugget was on the top edge of the push ,if Tom had not found it ,it would have gone into the water on the next push and been gone forever or until someday they remove the pile and drain the swamp.Tom saved it's life. Dave