View Full Version : Garrett Scorpion Gold

camper
07-26-2011, 04:21 PM
I am new to metal detecting, and to this site. I looking in this forum for any related discussions and didn't see any (doesn't mean I missed one) in regards to the Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger which is my first metal detector. I know it will take a bit to learn the ins and outs. My question is did I make a good purchase. I plan on searching for coins, and relics. Also want to make plans to go to gold country and do a little looking.

Any insight from a pro would be great. I read up on Garrett and saw that they have been in business for a while so thought it would be a good first buy.

jpiii
07-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Hello Camper, I suggest as a good place to start that you take a look at my profile and find the posts that I recently put up. I too am starting this hobby, and the feedback from Steve H., Jim Hemmingway, Reno Chris, TheSeeker, auminesweeper, little man, etc. is extremely helpful. While much of the advice refers to different machines, but there may be some bits that will help you.

See also the sticky-post at the top of the forum that gives a good run down of many popular machines for 2010-2011, including the Gold Stinger.

Have fun!
John
Valdez, AK.

camper
07-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Would be the very first thread that had some info on my detector, and I didn't open it. I think from what I read the Scorpion will turn out to be a good starter detector. Thanks for the info. I know I have a lot to learn about it, and can't wait to start. Thankfully I start a week vacation this coming week so I will be able to do just that. There is a wealth of information on this site, and I sure thank all the members that give that info. so newbies like myself can learn.

So with that I give a big Texas sized THANKS!

little man
07-27-2011, 03:00 PM
WELCOME camper way to go on getting started on a hobby that get in your blood fast we hunt for the old silver coins the main thing is to have fun with it take it slow and learn what your detector is tell you hit some parks and schools just to get to know what coins sounds like there is a lot of help here on the forum good luck and good hunting let know how you like it and post some finds if you can

jpiii
07-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Camper - this forum and website have a wealth of info, just dig around and you'll find a ton of helpful stuff. Steve H's prospecting stories alone shave a lot of time off the learning curve.

Another fantastic resource if you're interested in getting a "layman's PhD" in gold geology, location, type, prospecting and history is Reno Chris's website (Chris Ralph) at http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospect/chris_prospect.htm

These two resources alone will help new guys like me and you to make educated location choices rather than wandering aimlessly around the outback swinging our detectors over nothing but spruce needles and bear poop...

Cheers,
John

auminesweeper
08-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks JPIII for your kind words,

Camper you have got your self a good quality machine and before you head out in the bush Practice using all
the controls, set up some tests with small pieces of jewellry and also with some jewellery sitting close to Iron,
and learn the sweep speed as to what speed gives you the best signal and also try putting these Items closer
and closer together, Play with the discrimination knob and learn how far you need to turn it to wipe out different
bits of junk,

The most Important knob on your machine is your Ground Balance if it has one learn to set that up correctly
and that machine will work where ever you use it, even if you waste 2 sets of batteries you will be spot on
by time you get out in the field, even us so called experts still play and practice and we still ask all those
questions even when we feel stupid, and just remember this+++ the only Stupid question is the one thats never ASKED,

Anyway back to your Machine, it has proberly the best all round frequency for many targets includin GOLD
and if you want to see some found by your machine check this out,
http://www.akmining.com/mine/nuggets.htm
the Scorpion has been around for a few years now so that must meen something, there are three coils available
from Garrett from 4x6" and the 6x10/5x10 and also the 8x14", the smaller 4x6 will be best for trashy or high
mineralized sites and it will be the hotest coil for finding small Gold about half the size of a matchhead.
where the 8x14" will be better for less junk filled sites with fairly high mineralization,

Anyway just do some tests and have fun doing it because you need to understand how it works and what to do
when it starts making noises or misbehaving and if we can help just call me or any of our real clever people
on your list and i'm sure they will have all the right ansewers and be only to pleased to help, Good Luck

John

Steve Herschbach
08-10-2011, 06:45 AM
I have never seen a 14" coil for the Stinger. Garrett only makes the 7" and 10". Is the 14" an aftermarket?

auminesweeper
08-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Sorry Gents, I misread and advert The 8x14 was for another machine of Garretts'
It's no fun getting old

sorry about that

John