View Full Version : Ganes Creek Final Weeks - 6 & 7

TheSeeker
07-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Has anybody heard anything about the Ganes Creek Week 6 results yet? Bernie has said he will SatPhone out a Week 7 update in a couple days, but so far no news from the group that came out yesterday.

tbivingsWA
07-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Well I just got home today from week 6 at Ganes Creek.

We had a slow but productive week with rain everyday and ocassional sunshine in between. A gentleman named Jake found a 1.6 ouncer. I found the largest nugget weighting 6.58 ounces. It was a solid peice and it was down about 12" - 14" in the road where several other nuggets were found the previous week. I was surprise that a large nugget of that size did not make a whole lot of noise until I was close to it. I was using the x-terra 705 with the 10.5 R DD, 18.75 khz. Total take for week 6 was 13.83 ounces. Anyway half of our group (6 people) from week 6 is staying over for the final week 7. We all had a great time with the crew and I hope that I get the opportunity to go back again next year....Tyrie

TheSeeker
07-31-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks Tyrie for the Week 6 recap and congratulations on your 6.58 ouncer! I imagine they will post a photo of that one soon on the Ganes Creek website and I'm anxious to see it.

Reno Chris
07-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Wow Tyrie! That is just amazing! Congratulations!

highbanker58
08-01-2011, 05:43 AM
Tyrie- Way to go. AWESOME picture, nice solid nugget.Which road were you on? Those roads are hard packed and difficult to dig.Dave

tbivingsWA
08-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Theseeker, thanks for the congrats, the pictures posted on the website for week 6.

Reno Chris, thanks also for the congrats. I was the lucky one. It was my 4th visit to ganes creek and the thrill of finding a nugget that big was the opportunity of a lifetime.

higbanker58, I do not remember what they call the area. I know that Gene found his 2.25 oz and Mindy found her 1 oz nuggets in the same general area. As for digging the road, it did take me awhile but my holdan pick did the job.....Tyrie

highbanker58
08-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Tyrie -was it upstream or downstream from camp? I broke the handle off my holden pick and had to go to their machine shop that afternoon, drill out what was left and reinstall the shorter handle.HARD DIRT ON THEM ROADS.Dave

tbivingsWA
08-01-2011, 11:24 PM
highbanker58, it was upstream. Also, I agree with you on the hard dirt (tailings) roads. If it would have fit into my checked bag, I would have taken my 42" long handle pick with the dozer blade. By the way, my test that I PM you about a few weeks ago on the other forum, it worked....Tyrie

Steve Herschbach
08-02-2011, 06:45 AM
http://www.clark-wiltz.com/images/imagerepository/208.JPG

tbivingsWA
08-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Greetings Steve,

Thank you for posting the picture. I was technically challenged on how to post a picture. I will have to learn....Tyrie

chickenminer
08-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Now that is one sweet nugget! A real keeper.
Congrats Tyrie .... I'm sure you earned it!

tbivingsWA
08-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Chickenminer Thanks for the congragts....In my opinion, all nuggets small or large I have seen folks find are earned. As Steve H has mention before you can go for days and not find anything but good sounding targets (rusted bolts, angle iron, drums, pipes, nails, spikes, etc) that you have to dig.....It is never easy at Ganes Creek. I just got lucky.....Tyrie

highbanker58
08-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Tyrie- what size nugget was it and did you bury it. Dave

tbivingsWA
08-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Dave, I am not sure how to answer your question? The size of the large nugget I found at ganes creek on week 6 wt: 6.58 oz and a small one at .11 oz. Also, no I did not bury it but they are secure in the lock box and surrounded by alot of steel....Tyrie

highbanker58
08-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Tyrie- I was referring to your test that you PMed me about before you went to Ganes. What size nugget did you use for the test and was it an air test? Dave

tbivingsWA
08-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Dave, I used a .16 dwt, 1 dwt , 2.4 dwt & 14.8 dwt nuggets place on the ground surface or placed just under the surface in a berm or just placed behind tailing rocks & soil to try and randomly simulate the ganes creek situations where a nugget maybe found.

I also looked at placing a nail or other iron trash found at ganes next to the 1 dwt nugget and the result was the classic "blanking out" response you get with a DD coil on a PI and the nugget was now gone (meaning the iron junk is masking the 1 dwt nugget). Why? well if you hit the iron target first before you pass over the 1 dwt nugget the result is a "blanking response" (iron and nugget 2 - 3 inches apart approximately). Well since I was just doing a visual check on the ground surface at ganes, I tried swing the coil so it hit the nugget first and now I got a good target response then immediately got a "blanking reponse" right after I hit the adjacent iron target. Again this is using a GPX 4000 with a 14 NF E DD with the iron reject at the highest setting which is 30.

Anyway the point I was trying to prove to myself was could I hear a positive gold target response with the iron reject on the GPX 4K set at maximum using a DD coil at ganes creek. The answer is "yes" but you still have to remember that some large iron targets will still give a positive response like a nugget. I know this because I found one. Anyway, I hope I get the opportunity to go back next year and try my GPX 4 K and a DD coil in a full day usage to see if I can find a nugget. By the way in 2010 I did find three nuggets using my GPX 4000 with a 14 inch E NF Mono coil. I also dug many many trash targets to find those three nuggets. It was the only detector I brought with me that year so I know that combination works too....Tyrie

little man
08-07-2011, 05:19 AM
now that is a swwwweeeeet find way to go

highbanker58
08-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Tyrie- That was a lot of research! I haven't had much luck trying to get satisfactory results with the Iron reject on the 4500 or my current 5ooo. In very trashy areas I dig a lot of holes, but I also have found a few nuggets.Thanks for the response. Dave

tbivingsWA
08-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Dave, I think I needed to do more verifying even though I had several different sizes of nuggets. But at first glance at what I was trying to prove to myself, it seem favorable to me that I should be using my GPX 4000 with the 14 NF E DD coil. Then again maybe "lady luck" would not have been on my side that day and I would have found nothing. Anyway, I would have like to have had a second week (wishful thinking for me)....Tyrie