View Full Version : Are All PI's equal

wyobuck
08-12-2011, 12:21 PM
I am new to this forum and would like to say Great Forum, very infomative! My first question concerns Pulse Induction machines. I am wondering if the Whites Surfmaster PI Dual Field will work as a nugget finder in the Rockies, or is it specifically set up for salt water operation. If not please explain.
Thanks
Pete

Reno Chris
08-13-2011, 01:25 AM
I am wondering if the Whites Surfmaster PI Dual Field will work as a nugget finder in the Rockies, or is it specifically set up for salt water operation. If not please explain.

1. the Surfmaster PI has no adjustable ground balance system. In very mild soils suitable for VLFs, this would probably not be an issue, but in many places you would not be able to use it because the ground mineralization would make so much noise you could not detect with it.

2. It is designed for coins, rings and other good sized targets - many nuggets will just be too small to see. In fact a very large number of them will be invisible to you.

All PIs are not created equal, and ones designed for a certain purpose may not be very good at all for applications for which it was not designed.

Steve Herschbach
08-13-2011, 02:47 AM
To emphasize what Chris has stated, the lack of a ground balance system makes common PI units unsuitable for prospecting in all but the mildest ground conditions.

wyobuck
08-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks for taking the time to respond

Pete

goldmann
08-29-2011, 08:20 PM
After a good run in 1989 with the GT-16000. I was ahead of my time and used a non ground balancing diving PI in Western Australia in 1990 and it did not work, with false signals. I also used a Jimmy Sierra 25" round coil on a Whites Eagle VLF in 1990 there that did not work as well. I went to a FT-16000 in 1993 and the next PI I used in WA was the SD-2100 in 1997 with manual ground balancing then finally a PI worked good for prospecting. Also the Whites TDI PI's have manual ground balance for prospecting.