View Full Version : Not another new Gold Detector?

tvanwho
09-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Seems Garrett will be releasing a Prospecting machine based on the newer AT Pro this fall. 18 Khz with a true all metal threshold, waterproof,fully submersible for river prospecting, 5 x 8 coil,several accessory coils available, and a freebie package thru Dec 31. Maybe Steve can enlighten us some more? Should I trade in my standard AT Pro for the Prospecting version Steve? Will it be any hotter on gold rings in swim areas?
Ps, I need some hot settings to use for local swim areas with low minerals,for my Garrett AT Pro? I see gold is back at $1900 today? Even a 10k ring should be worth some decent money now?

-Tom V.

little man
09-06-2011, 12:30 PM
all most make me want to go hit a park or two but we love the old silver coins to much

shgrunewald
09-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Silver is almost at par with gold -- a hedge against inflation. Gold is slowly going down the charts while silver is climbing up because of its demands in the computer hardware industry.

Sarah Grunewald
New Mexico Gold Buyers (http://www.goldandsilverexchangenm.com)

goldmann
09-08-2011, 09:38 AM
tvanwho(Tom V.), I cannot help you as I do not own an AT machine. But would you please answer a querry for me please. How is your AT Pro at working around power lines, meaning how does it handle EMI.??

(In urban areas the X-Terra 705 with V-Flex handles EMI very good, but the Fisher F75 Ltd chatters and handles EMI poorly. The irony is, in rural bush areas the F75 handles bad iron mineralization better than the 705.

But nothing is talked about on how the Tesoro Lobo ST and MXT Pro handle EMI.?)

tvanwho
09-08-2011, 11:46 AM
I just took my AT Pro out for a 1st spin today.It definitely speaks a different language than any other detector I have used, almost like a Minelab Explorer.I was advised by users on the Findmall AT Pro Forum to turn my Sens down to 4 or 5 bars. Well, I cranked her up to 6-7 bars and it got real noisy,almost unuseable, so down it came to 5 bars and it was stable, at the local park volleyball court. I recovered 2 pennies, a nickel, a piece of foil, a tab, and a bobby pin, had to leave several deep targets alone,over 8 inches, assumed they were pop cans. The AT does have Audio ID but it is NOT as good as on other machines in my opinion as you may hear multiple tones in the same hole and different angles vs 1 or 2 distinct tones with other machines. I could not rely on tone alone to decide if to dig or not, had to keep glancing at the meter readings.

After I got home, I located my 9x8 coil for my Tesoro Lobo ST and attached it. I have a small pouch with a quick release buckle that the Lobo control box can be put in and I wrapped a piece of piano wire around the faceplate and back side of the detector so it cannot pop out of the pouch when I lean over in a swimming hole. I also cut a small hole in the 2 corners of the pouch, so I can attach a bungee cord around my back.This will keep the detector from bouncing around or swinging out and away from my chest when I lean over.

When I was detecting today, I got a bad cramp in my lower right back while swinging with my right arm.Anybody know how to stop this? I was wearing a back support but it wasn't enough. I am thinking I may need to also wear a forearm support for swim hole hunting too. I love my LST. I had Tesoro tune it with the 9x8 coil to go deeper on silver coins, can almost get 2 inches deeper than before the retune,air test anyway. Sure wish it was waterproof? Its a killer on gold jewelry down to about 8-10 inches and has got me several chains too. But, as I learnt the hard way, internal condensation can kill this machine as well as sweat trickling down your arm if it falls on the coil cable and flows into the control box as another user discovered not to mention if you drop it in the water while hunting swim holes.Wrapping a plastic bag over it makes the condensation issue even worse I found,even tried using them moisture absorber packets.

-Tom V.

tvanwho(Tom V.), I cannot help you as I do not own an AT machine. But would you please answer a querry for me please. How is your AT Pro at working around power lines, meaning how does it handle EMI.??

(In urban areas the X-Terra 705 with V-Flex handles EMI very good, but the Fisher F75 Ltd chatters and handles EMI poorly. The irony is, in rural bush areas the F75 handles bad iron mineralization better than the 705.

But nothing is talked about on how the Tesoro Lobo ST and MXT Pro handle EMI.?)