View Full Version : Help with picking a new new detector for prospecting

outdoorfun
10-11-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm looking at getting a metal detector in a few mos. that will be used primarily for prospecting for small pieces of gold first and secondly for use on saltwater beaches.
Last detector I had was in 1980, lots of changes since then.
I have read a lot of reports and different things on other forms,so I thought I would ask here as there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable folks on this form.
Two different types I've thought about are the Fisher F-75 and the whites TDI Pro.
I don't mind the learning curve of what ever type of electronics I get to get good with it.
All opinions would be appreciated

Steve Herschbach
10-11-2011, 01:31 PM
My opinions are laid out at http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/13-Latest-Nugget-Detector-Recommendations-for-Alaska

In a nutshell you are talking two vastly different detectors. The TDI is very powerful but when using it to look for gold you have to dig anything that beeps. The F75 is a more typical unit with very good discrimination. For salt water detecting I personally prefer PI units like the TDI but if trash is an issue the F75 could be the better choice. Kind of the same story prospecting with the two. In general when prospecting you dig it all, but there are areas so trashy a good discriminating detector can be handy.

A lot depends on your tolerance for digging junk!

goldmann
10-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Steve H. gave me this reply in a PM, I thought I would share it with you:

Re: Best VLF in high iron mineral ground.

"Your question is very difficult because the top machines are all so close in performance it is pretty much impossible to pick any one unit as "best". It varies by location and user. Two users at one location my both decide a different machine is "best" for them.

Usually a VLF detector is best run in all metal mode for best sensitivity to gold. However, with many machines to disc iron you generally have to run in the discriminate mode, which automatically gives up depth. On this basis I would reject the GBPro-G2 and Lobo for forcing this either/or choice.

The T2/F75 allows you to run in all metal while the meter runs in disc mode so you can have your cake and eat it also. The MXT Prospect Mode is also an all metal mode with iron disc so a good choice. The T2/F75 are manual ground balance, the MXT automatic and "locked".

The AT Gold will not be out until November so who knows. Hope to have one soon to try."