View Full Version : Jonathan Porter is Amazing!

Steve Herschbach
10-26-2011, 06:43 PM
I am used to being the guy that gets the most gold with a detector. Plain and simple, when a group gets together I tend to find the most nuggets or most weight or both. I have not met many people who give me a run for the money. I am not trying to brag here, just setting this up.

When we headed for Australia I told Chris I was going to try and beat Jonathan. Not to beat him per se, not for bragging rights, because I think people who know me know I am not big into that. No, what it is for me is friendly competition, as a tool for me to do better. I thrive on being with good detectorists as it pushes me to be better.

Well, so much for that! Jonathan is amazing. He has intimate knowledge of his home land and the Minelab GPX 5000. The bottom line is he was easily able to find twice as much gold as I did. This despite the fact he detected less because he spent a lot of time shooting video.

I did hurt myself in a way by consistently wandering away off the known patches he put us on. I have talked to others who have been to Australia and the consensus was that if you really want to score you need to head of on your own and try and find your own patch. If I had to do it over I cannot say I would do it any different as I still think that is true. Pounding old patches is not likely to produce a major find. And the fact is Jonathan did a fair share of wandering around also.

No, the main difference I think is that Jonathan has been using Minelabs almost exclusively far more than I and is simply better at it. He seemed to just go right out on an old patch and immediately bang out nuggets faster and more often than I. He was rigged up with twin external speakers and a booster that he offered to set me up with and which I foolishly declined. I am rather set in my ways just running with headphones. So he kindly offered that perhaps he had an edge due to his hardware.

I think it is simpler than that though. Jonathan is one of the best detectorists I am likely to ever meet. He is in a league all his own. I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to hunt with him. Thanks Jonathan!

Reno Chris
10-26-2011, 07:02 PM
You're not wrong, mate. :)

seeker
10-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Well Said Chris Steve.........Geo

kamikaze1a
10-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Steve, Now you know how the rest of us mortal feel when we hunt next to you...LOL

Bob(AK)
10-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Well said Gaine, B

Jonathan Porter
10-27-2011, 02:51 PM
I honestly don't know what to say to a thread like this, but I think Steve is being a little harsh on himself. One is our mineralisation here in OZ is completely different to anything Steve has worked before and even though the timings remove the bulk of the ground noise it still takes some getting used to interpreting the sound and behavior of the detector. Secondly the ground we work in Australia is relatively flat (I showed the guys some what I thought were decent hills for WA and they laughed at me :-( ) owing to that the gold tends to congregate differently to traditional high velocity drainage systems of which both Steve and Chris are intimately familiar.

I too love a challenge and I can assure you I learned just as much from my American visitors as they learned from me, the only difference to my mind was the 'Home ground advantage' and my considerable time spent with the Minelab product.:cool:

JP

highbanker58
10-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Steve-Chris & JP - I personally have benefited from something each of you has said or done, the real benefit to these forums is the broad knowledge we a have access to. While Steve was at Gaines this year, I hung on every word he posted from the hothouse, trying to pick up anything that would help me when I got there the next week. I came back with 9 nuggets totaling over 3oz. I was lucky enough to spend some time with Chris at the event in Placerville, I picked up a lot of information about geology, detecting and many things I hadn't known about hydraulic mining. And JP's new DVD gave me some tidbits on my GPX5000, ground balancing with large coils.I immediately went out to an old patch and came home with 1 picker and 3 dinks, in 6 hours. Thanks to all of you for sharing. Dave