View Full Version : Detecting Ancient Coins in the UK

Steve Herschbach
12-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Hi,

OK, slowly catching up. I took my old post about my trip to England, added a lot of commentary and a buch of photos, and posted it at http://www.detectorprospector.com/steves-mining-journal/colchester-uk-metal-detecting-fisher-f75-whites-mxt.htm

Hope you enjoy.

Brian Berkhahn
12-05-2011, 08:37 AM
That is just way to cool.. I would much so love to be able to do that someday.

Thanks

Jim Hemmingway
12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Hello Steve…I hope you too had a wonderful prospecting / detecting season. The Britain trip looks to have been a lot of fun…with a wealth of relics and coins recovered. Congratulations to you and your companions on a great adventure and thanks for putting together this excellent presentation. :cool:

In reference to your gold comment on Chris’ thread… nothing new under the sun for a first time trip (Australia). I’ve certainly experienced less than ideal results over an entire trip. The following year there has invariably been a dramatic improvement….so… lookout Gaines Creek in 2012.

This past autumn was the best prospecting season ever. I can’t say it was exactly filled with adventures, but there were a few exciting moments. The weather was unbelievably good right into mid-October…shirtsleeve temps, blazing campfires every night, lots of wildlife encountered and unprecedented amounts of good silver. The only real negative for me was that the Tigers were eliminated by the Texas Rangers…their pitching went south… but I managed to somehow recover from that low blow.

When it finally cooled down later in the season I went to serious float hunting. I found an unusually large, handsome silver float in the bush that may even interest a dyed-in-the-wool gold prospector like you, but that can wait until a later post. Heck…I’d still be there but you can’t dig frozen ground.

On a technical note, I dealt with hotrocks in a different manner this year…one good deposit was loaded with them…diabase giving rise to both +ve and –ve signals…and it worked out flawlessly using my F75. More on that later…

Would it be possible to acquire some more photo space? I’d like to do a prospecting article sometime this winter. As things stand it would likely mean removing photos from existing threads…something I’d rather not do if it is not necessary…

That’s it for now Steve…good to return to the forum…better still to see you back safely…and better yet to hear from you right off the bat. :)

Jim.

Steve Herschbach
12-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Oh, I would really get into hunting silver. I like finding anything with a metal detector!

Glad you had a good season. Sure do not want to impede your ability to tell a story - I have bumped your image setting by a factor of ten.

kiwijw
12-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi Steve, Sounds like you had a good time in England despite the weather & mud. Some cool & different finds there. Thanks for sharing.
I dont mean to hijack this thread but just thought you may be interested in this. I am not sure how old it is & you may already be aware of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqe6fH_w_gY&feature=related.

Hope you all have a very merry xmas & a prosperious new year.

Good luck out there & happy hunting to you all

JW :)

Jim Hemmingway
12-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks Steve...when you make a decision you don't fool around. I've been trying to gin-up some ideas for an article but don't intend to go over material covered in previous write-ups. In any case it'll make for a fun project over the early winter.

Writing about prospecting trips subsequent to taking early retirement has helped to fill a void, plus it gives me a satisfactory 'closure' on the season. I believe you will understand that sentiment...thanks again for the extra space. :)

Jim.