View Full Version : Rider sets machine on fire to stay warm

Steve Herschbach
03-15-2010, 08:56 AM
The Associated Press
(03/14/10 22:41:06)

FAIRBANKS -- A Fairbanks man became separated from his companions on a wilderness trip and lit his snowmobile on fire to stay warm.

Twenty-eight-year-old Andrew Noble was eventually rescued by helicopter Saturday southwest of Nenana.

Alaska State Troopers say Noble and others were on their way to his cabin and he carried no survival gear, even though temperatures reached 20 below zero.

Noble's brother called troopers at 3:30 a.m. to report his brother was stranded without fuel.

Troopers were able to call Noble on his cell phone.

Noble told troopers he drove around until running out of fuel.

He told troopers his two friends did not know the location of his cabin and he was worried about them. Troopers found Noble's friends safe and warm at the cabin.

Steve Herschbach
03-16-2010, 06:27 AM
Unfortunately we have suffered some deaths from avalanches recently also. Real tragedies.

But this instance is different and I wanted to highlight it. Snowmobile, 20 below, no survival gear. He was traveling with a group so you'd figure if you broke down you could get a ride but, oops, got separated from friends. One should always assume the a snomobile will break down at the worst possible moment. So if you are going back in 30 miles, figure that machine will break down right when you are ready to turn around and drive back the 30 miles out.

Are you prepared to survive if that happens? If you have to set your snowmobile on fire to stay warm chances are you are not properly dressed for the conditions.

Ride Safely!! - Alaska Avalanche Information Center (http://www.alaskasnow.org/)

Irondog
03-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Steve, everyone in our group rides with a Garmin Rhino GPS, these GPS's have a walky talky good to 15 miles and has the ability to track each other. Several of us also carry the the SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker which can send OK , Help and 911 messages via satellite to the people I've set-up in my profile. Riding in AK without these just seems reckless IMO.

I picked up all my safety equipment at AMDS, SPOT, Rhino, Avy beacon, probe, shovel and BCA Avy Pack. Why spend $10,000 on a snow machine that can take you anywhere and not spend the extra money on the insurance to make it back safely???

Steve Herschbach
03-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi Irondog,

I have a pair of Garmin Rhinos myself. The ability to use one to get direction and distance to the other is invaluable for people moving around who might get separated. Great also for rough survey work or finding your wife at Disney World!