View Full Version : Last week's Gold Fever Episode

JohnnyMac
12-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone watched last week's Episode of Gold Fever and knows where ol Massie was at getting those nuggets..... :D

JohnnyMac
12-13-2011, 09:12 AM
To add to it, he was in Anchorage and went "North" to a glacier to detect. He found some good sized nuggets in the glacier caves. This must have been in the last month or so because he referenced that UAA runner that lost his feet to frostbite. Found some good sized nuggets in the glacier caves. Just wondering if anyone knew which glacier he was at. Knik maybe?

Jrreyboi
12-13-2011, 11:25 AM
I noticed the reference to the UAA runner as well and commented to my wife how recently it had to be filmed.

Reno Chris
12-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Do remember that Tom's Gold Fever episodes are very much like professional wrestling - staged for TV with a "known in advance" outcome. Nuggets are placed for Tom to find before the camera is turned on.

I once watched an episode where he was someplace out of Nome and he put his pan into the gravel at the side of a stream. No bedrock visible for as far as the eye could see. When he was done he had no black sand, no fine gold, but there was one quarter ounce nugget rolling around in the pan. I laughed for about 5 minutes. Sometimes he's so lazy he doesn't even bother to make it look a tiny little bit realistic. He learned how to do TV from his Dad who did the same thing.

So were there really nuggets in the glacier caves? Who knows, but I would tend to doubt it and just chalk it up to the fact 98% of the gold found on gold fever is staged.

Bob(AK)
12-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Chris, that is what I was going to say---there was a guy in my shop today talking about Tom's glacier nuggets and I told him Tom probably had them in his pocket when he went there

He also said he was going to go buy a detector and find some place where no one has ever been. Take his money Steve!! Bob

unreel
12-13-2011, 05:05 PM
went to eklutna glacier near anchorage one time and was under a large ice cave. sure was pretty there . after we left and were about a couple hundred yards away the whole roof caved in. we would have been squished if we were there. dont ever want to do that again. hope everybody thinks before they do any of this prospecting. john

minerjoe01
12-14-2011, 09:54 AM
I liked the show where he went into a hard rock mineshaft, not a drift mine either, and detected a placer nugget. Funny stuff.