View Full Version : nugget size and depth for testing

gold4t9er
12-14-2011, 03:53 PM
what do you think would be the average size nuggets being found and at what depth.also what would be a good size test nugget to set up on. im thinking five grain. detector garret L&S infinium

minerjoe01
12-14-2011, 05:47 PM
5 grains is just fine. 2.5 is as small as i can find well at any depth. Usually a 5 grainer can be had with my 4500 and joey at about 6 in.

gold4t9er
12-14-2011, 06:14 PM
thanks for the info. ill have to buy one to run some test. i have some flake gold . ill try that. a nugget would work better

Steve Herschbach
12-14-2011, 07:07 PM
I like 5 grain. See http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/70-Why-won-t-my-detector-detect-a-bottle-of-fine-gold-Or-a-gold-chain

minerjoe01
12-15-2011, 09:04 AM
dont use flake gold it wont work unless you melt it into one piece. The detector cant see those all together, only as one and especially a pulse induction like the infinium. Practice hard with the 5 grainer and you'll do well. I wasted lots of time with bigger nuggets that you rarely find anyhow! It took me a long time to realize sweep speed is sooo critical. Yesterday i got a 5.5 only 3 inches deep, but i when i slowed down, i heard it finally. It ended up having a little quartz on it making it hard to hear. It was my only nugget to date in december! Nutty really digging snow. Guess i was bored at home near the fire....

gold4t9er
12-15-2011, 08:10 PM
thanks that makes cents slowing down sweep speed. that faint signal your here on the small nuggets. thats what i keep hearing about . what do you think about head sets. do they really make the signal louder. buy the way alittle bit of fresh air and a nugget makes for a nice day . im going to fire up my old tesoro bandido this week end . and go find something. happy trails.

minerjoe01
12-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Yeah back at you there! I totally believe in grey ghost headphones. Really any of them are a big difference. THe biggest difference is in closing out the outside sounds, creek, wind, whatever. Hell i shoot a 300wsm with mine on and they're quiet. The headphones that come with detectors suck. Even minelab gives you junk headphones with the detector. I guess they figure you'll upgrade anyway. A hundred bucks will get you a great set that are tough as nails, and when i pack in to places the last thing i want is faulty headphones! Well sun is out, and no snow in the sierra this year so far really. Usually we have 4ft min by now! So, i'm making the best of it!

gold4t9er
12-16-2011, 04:53 PM
were thinking alone the same lines. those nugget busters look like a nice set. im just wondering . they do not have a limiter built in. for those shallow cans and sheet steal i run into sometimes. i can handle the iron noise. my old gold master use to sound off loud on that . ill see what the garret infinium does when i get it. are you using the gray ghost . the weather is alittle off this winter but its cold as hell here in valleysprings lol . what are you swinging thease days a mine lab. happy trails

minerjoe01
12-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Howdy, yeah they look great. I just have the lowest model grey ghost. (MONEY) but they work great. No limiter, and it does hurt somtimes when i hit junk. big box nails kill me! I swing a gpx4500 and a T2 (fisher F75). Its only warm enough here in graeagle to detect from 12 to 2pm! then its back to the fire! I'm not sure where valley springs is, but if anything like here, yep butt ass cold. Well, we are on a AK web page though, i better stop, but for ca, lows in the teens every night and highs just above freezing, is cold for ca! Our coldest night yet was 3 deg here @4700 ft elev.

Reno Chris
12-17-2011, 11:13 PM
No limiter, and it does hurt sometimes when i hit junk.....I swing a gpx4500

Joe - I know the GPX 4500 has a built in volume limiter, so you can set the thing to have a maximum volume level on the detector - no matter what your earphones adjust to. I set my 5000 so the volume is plenty high but limited so it does not hit extremes on big trash targets.
On the 4500 its called volume limit - see page 56 of your operators manual for more info.

minerjoe01
12-21-2011, 12:28 PM
geez, i'll get out there and try that. Guess thats why steve just started the new thread on this.... Thank you chris.

drydiggins
12-21-2011, 07:18 PM
On the 4500 I set the volume limit to 4. The faint signals still come through no problem. Anything over 4, imo is asking for hearing damage in trashy spots.

gold4t9er
12-22-2011, 11:29 AM
chris as soon as i can am ordering your book . i have some rocks that are heavy and sure would like to know what the heck it is. one sits in the palm of my hand weights almost 2lbs silver and gray in color with some brown on the bottom found in the hills around here.also really enjoyed your web page thanks for shearing

Reno Chris
12-22-2011, 02:02 PM
gold4t9er -
Hard to say what it might be, but I have a very similar piece picked up in the California gold country - mine is a big chunk of magnetite. Try testing yours with a strong magnet. I'd be happy to sign your book to you when you purchase it.

minerjoe01
12-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Hey what about me? ha ha I Found a rock like that and looked over my shoulder till i had it tested at the university. It came back as A.K.A FOOLS GOLD! no joke. well they said it had a bunch of stuff in it, It does look cool though, and besides i carried it 7 miles out on my back! (40 lbs) I'll post a pic when i get home.... Merry christmas!

gold4t9er
12-24-2011, 06:47 AM
thanks . a strong magnet thats another tool i have to get. my old bandito still sounds of strong on dis 3 with air test.Merrychristmas. and happy trails.

gold4t9er
12-24-2011, 06:50 AM
joe u need a pack mule. lol Merry Christmas

minerjoe01
12-24-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm scared to death of animals that react without warning! ha ha Back at you bud merry christmas! I cant wait to see the look on my sisters face when she gets that nugget on a chain from me...... Good times and i thank god for this great hobby! Good times good friends, what else is there?

gold4t9er
01-15-2012, 04:09 PM
well ive been testing the infinium . and it will not pick up a four grain nugget. if thats what you want to call it. ive tryed both the 5 x 10 and the 10 x 14 . air tested. and in the ground. just wont do it, everytime i find some lead in the bed rock i pan out the cracks . and i am finding more flake gold . i figured this out last week end . the week end before last i found five pieces of lead on the same path about two feet away from each other , took samples in that area. and panned out some good color .il go back next time and set up my mini highbanker and see what pans out.

Steve Herschbach
01-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Sounds about right. The Infinium is good on large gold but is not good on tiny stuff. Nature of the beast.

Randy H
01-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Hey guys I have a MXT with the 300 coil. I was wanting to know what is the smallest nugget or flake that this should be able to detect? I would like to practice so I know what sounds to listen for. Most of the gold I hunt at my Ill spots is very fine and probably would not be detectable I think.

gold4t9er
01-16-2012, 04:18 PM
well randy i dont have the m.x.t but i plan on getting one at the end of the year with all the lead im finding with my garret infinium lol. from reading about the m.x.t on this form and others thats a good duel purpose detector. my old tesero bandito that run at 14kh on all metal mode picks up my four grain nugget at 4 inches air tested. good question though for i do plan on buying a m.x.t good luck. arnie

Steve Herschbach
01-16-2012, 07:31 PM
With the big coil around 5 grains? You really need a smaller coil for small gold.

Randy H
01-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info Steve. For fine or smaller gold what coil should I be using on the MXT? What size gold can a smaller coil detect? Sorry for the questions, but I have very limited use in prospecting with a detector. I took it to AK last summer and played a little but only found trash. The 300 is the coil it came with, I bought it used about a year ago and have only found some coins and lots of trash. More trash than anything else. I guess that is just part of the work that I do not enjoy so much, all others trash. I get hits all over the place and I know I need to practice more so I have a clue whats really going on. I guess I need to get some small nuggets or melt down some fines into some bigger pieces. What is the cost of a 5 grain piece?

Mikthestik
01-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Just tested a 4 grain piece with my MXT-Pro, and I could get a signal at about three inches with the 4x6 DD Shooter coil balanced to grab then set to lock in prospect mode. I will play with it more and see what I can do if anything to make it a stronger signal. I dont know but 4 grains is pretty small.