View Full Version : SEF ciols VS. DD coils for MXT Pro ?

Mikthestik
12-16-2011, 09:17 AM
I am considering a new coil for my MXT PRO for more mineralized soil. I currently use the stock coil 12" and the 5.3 eclipse for trashy areas. My question is about the new SEF coils and their ability in hot areas. Does anyone have experience using the SEF coils and how they handle hot rocks in compairison to say the whites DD that Steve recommends in his review for nugget hunting ? I read quite a lot of positive reviews on the SEF coils from the White forum, but I think they are almost all coin/relic hunters down south. Thanks in advance for any opinions.:cool:

Mikthestik
12-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Well Ok, let me pose a little different question... What is your favorite coil for nugget detecting with a Whites MXT Pro ?

Steve Herschbach
12-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Never used the SEF coils but hear they are good. If I was at Ganes Creek with a MXT I would use the 12" Super concentric. If on the Kenai Peninsula chasing small gold the 4" x 6". For most other nugget detecting the 10" elliptical DD or maybe round 10" DD. Just depends where you are at, what you are hunting, ground conditions, budget, etc.

Mikthestik
12-18-2011, 05:04 PM
OK, Thanks for the insight. Is there a difference in the performance in the round coils vs. the elliptical other than the physical shape and being able to move into tighter spots with the elliptical ?

Steve Herschbach
12-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Round coils are general considered to be superior but remember what matters most is the surface area of the coil. So a 10" elliptical coil is smaller than a 10" round coil.

Mikthestik
12-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Great, That makes sense. I went to the store today to do some Christmas shopping and decided ( after a cup of coffee with Bob) to get the 4x6" elliptical DD coil for starters. I will also pick up the 10" and possibly a SEF to do some controlled testing. I think it will be fun to test them out and see what the differences are. Thanks for the advice !!!

Steve Herschbach
12-19-2011, 08:00 PM
The SEF coils are not much different than a DD. It is their light weight compared to most similar size DD coils that makes them special. Thanks for the business!

Mikthestik
12-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Good Evening Steve, I was reviewing a couple of posts about the 10 inch DD coils and read that you had one with a cord that had some damage that could be repaired for sale. Do you still have it for sale or did it go on to explore the wilderness with the other coils ?

Steve Herschbach
12-22-2011, 07:03 AM
That was a GMT coil will not work on MXT. Probably still on eBay Store.

Jim Hemmingway
12-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Hi Mikthestic...you may want to check out the thread at the link below...Jim.

http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/1564-Interesting-Coil-Comparison-Test...

Mikthestik
12-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Thank You for sharing that link Jim. I can see that in some areas the SEF coils would be a great advantage. The lighter weight would certainly be a bonus after long days in the field as well. The 6x8 SEF sounded like it was smoother in those conditions. I might have to pick one up to test on my MXT.