View Full Version : How to set headphone volume

Steve Herschbach
12-18-2011, 08:48 AM
On all detectors, set detector volume to max. Set headphone volume low and swing over very large item. Turn headphone volume up until signal on large item is loud but not too loud. Now set threshold to faint as you can hear. You have just set a safe volume range.

Do not be tempted to go high on volume to make faint signals louder if it risks damaging your hearing. Try different headphones if that is your problem. Some have volume limiters. And read the manual. Many high end detectors allow you to limit the max volume.

I am 53 years old and now have hearing aids. My advice is try to avoid that.

ddmk6
12-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Good tip Steve, thanks for posting. Getting blasted by a large target will definitely damage your hearing.

Kenny

kiwijw
12-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi guys, Yes....very good point. Especially on some makes that have signal boosters & enhancers to lift those faint signals. Can be a real WHAM when you hit a shallow "in your face" signal.

Merry xmas all, & good luck out there over the xmas break.

JW :)

minerjoe01
12-21-2011, 12:55 PM
First, Johnny you're alive! ha ha Nice to see you on here, reading this and the post chris had on another thread makes me wonder how many nuggets i missed having my detector set wrong,,,, just when i thought i had all this down! oh well, i'm no expert for sure just yet! Hard work is no stranger to me, so if i work on the fine settings, thats where the gold is now. May all your stockings be filled with gold!