View Full Version : at gold

blowfly
12-21-2011, 06:27 PM
can you use this detector in salt water or only fresh? bye for now,blowfly

Steve Herschbach
12-21-2011, 06:35 PM
People are reporting good results in salt water. I will be testing mine in salt water for the next 5 days and will report back next week. Stay tuned.

Reno Chris
12-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Enjoy your vacation!

Steve Herschbach
12-22-2011, 04:06 AM
Short but hopefully sweet.

The AT Gold as a single frequency unit, and rather hot at that, is unlikely to be anything exciting in salt water land. I just expect it to do well, but not knock off any top performers. Should do very well on very small items in the drier sand though. It will give me my first chance at putting an AT underwater and that will be fun. Already I liked how small it was when I packed a few hours ago.

Posted from SeaTac on my iPad.

Steve Herschbach
12-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Ok, the AT Gold is a good beach detector but cannot handle saturated wet salt sand. It does just fine on sand not recently wetted by a wave. Just got back from beach, got three earrings and a silver ring plus usual coins. All from above the high wave mark. But get into saturated wet sand and the 18 kHz high frequency sounds off on the sand.

The AT Pro at 15 kHz is not as hot so better suited for salt water. It also has fully adjustable notch discrimination, which means you can simply notch out the salt reading. Of course this also eliminates tiny gold items but that is just the way it is when working in salt water. The AT Gold has two discrimination settings preset at the factory and so I found I could not set a minimal disc level to kill the salt signal. Bottom line is if gold prospecting is an important function the AT Gold is the bettr unit but you will give up salt water operation. If you do not mind giving up a bit on the prospecting end the AT Gold will still find most gold nuggets that the AT Gold would and offer better salt water capability. Note I am not saying the AT Pro is a fantastic salt water detector - that nod goes to the multi-frequency and PI detectors. But it is certainly capable.

I found the AT Gold runs best for me in the sand in all metal mode. It is smoother than the disc modes and the target I'd still reads out on the meter where the target is strong enough.

Well, back to the beach!

kamikaze1a
12-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Hi Steve! I hope you are enjoying your vacation. Are you getting a lot of rain too? I guess better than snow...

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday!

Steve Herschbach
12-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi Gaine,

Some rain was threatening to move in which I actually like as it drives people off the beach. It struck but a glancing blow however and sunny but windy as always right now. Got a hand full of coins this time but no jewelry. A short break and back down to the beach.

Merry Christmas!

Steve Herschbach
12-24-2011, 03:33 PM
I am still using the AT Gold in all metal, with iron audio on and iron setting of 30. The AT is a bottle cap killer in that a bottle cap gives a genuine iron reading. I suspect I would like the AT Gold more for sand hunting than the AT Pro as I do like hunting in all metal while also having this iron id capability. Very nice and I am getting very small foil targets that sound off solid non-iron set like this. The AT Gold may not be good in wet salt sand but it is a superior dry sand unit.

haff202
01-24-2012, 12:09 PM
I do not live near salt water so salt is not a factor. Gold mines or gold in the ground is just not around me. Which AT is for me?????? Will I have a advantage with the AT Pro Gold at the fresh water beach?????

Steve Herschbach
01-24-2012, 03:38 PM
If prospecting is not a goal then the AT Pro is the way to go.

haff202
01-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Which machine at a fresh water beach AT Pro or AT Pro Gold??????????

Steve Herschbach
01-25-2012, 03:43 AM
Either one but I personally prefer the AT Pro for freshwater use.

tvanwho
01-26-2012, 06:11 PM
To send my AT Pro back to Garrett for that 2011 update?
And my Garrett Pinpointer keeps interfering with my ACE 250 detector too. Garrett told me this should not happen.I have to turn the Ace off in order to keep the pinpointer from chattering. I wonder if I should send both my Garrett Pinpointer and AT Pro back to the factory?

-Tom V.

Steve Herschbach
01-26-2012, 07:03 PM
I posted in August about the upgrade at http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/1682-Garrett-AT-Pro-Upgrade?

Yes, you are too late unless you can convince Garrett otherwise.

Issues with the pinpointer? Yes, if it bothers you send it back.