View Full Version : Air travel with your detector?

Jrreyboi
12-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Hey guys, newbie here with a question regarding traveling with your detector. I purchased a Garrett AT Gold as a Christmas present for myself last week. I've prospected on and off here in Idaho for a few years and have always wanted to try my hand at detecting for gold. As I mentioned, I am a total newbie with this but we have a Cabo trip planned the end of January and I was wondering if I should consider taking my detector down with me as we're spending a week on the beach? I assume when you travel you carry on your detector? I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have along these lines.

JR

Steve Herschbach
12-26-2011, 09:08 AM
I always travel with a detector or two. 95% of the time I just pack it in my check on baggage. I am packing to head home in a few hours and am packing an AT Gold in my check on bag.

If I am traveling with my GPX 5000 I put the control box and battery in my carry on since they cost so much.

I guess I do not worry much as in all my years of air travel, I have never had a bag get totally lost. Late, yes, but not gone forever.

Derek W
12-26-2011, 09:59 AM
I put the control box in a carry-on as well. Wrap it up in a soft shirt. The coil and apparatus tucked nice and snuggly in the luggage. It's interesting beach combing with a detector at night. I'm sure you'll get real good at identifying bottle tops on a Cabo beach. Good luck.

Jrreyboi
12-26-2011, 03:36 PM
What other items do you guys pack when you travel, shovel, sifter , etc?

Steve Herschbach
12-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Not much. My standard are belt with trash/treasure pouch, headphones, and plastic digging scoop. If nugget detecting add digging pick, beach hunting a sifter, and turf hunting a Lesche digging tool.

ddmk6
12-27-2011, 10:33 PM
I like to pack mine in a pelican case. Along with the detector I pack a pistol. When you get to the airport you go through TSA screening, then you get to put your own locks on, not TSA locks. You are the only one that has a key. When you arrive at your destination they hand deliver your case, show them your ID and your off. Detector and protector all in one nice package :-)

silver dog doug
01-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Steve, I didn't know that you could put your battery and control box in your carry-on. That will make things so much better. Thanks

Walt_Anchorage
01-23-2012, 02:23 PM
If you're traveling with a TDI detector be sure to to take the Lilon battery in your carry on. That type battery is not allowed in checked baggage.

highbanker58
01-23-2012, 04:48 PM
One item you must have for the sandy beach is a long handle sand scoop for sifting the targets out ,I found soo many coins my trunks were falling off before i went and dumped them on my table. Also be sure to take bug dope-the sand fleas can be brutal.

Jrreyboi
01-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Yes, I picked up a long handle sand scoop. Given I'm a newbie is there some general detecting ettiquiet that I need to observe especially given I'll be in a resort setting?

Steve Herschbach
01-24-2012, 04:15 AM
Fill in your holes and take all your trash to a trash can.

Jrreyboi
01-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Thanks Steve.....So the sun bathing hotties shouldn't think much about it as I swing my detector thru the sand again and again? Actually it sounds like I need to invest in some dark sun glasses so that my wife doesn't bust me as I continue to make passes close to the scantily-clad sun worshipers!