View Full Version : Idaho Prospecting

Jrreyboi
12-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Team.......after having worked our collective butts off running dirt through sluice boxes in various parts of the great state of Idaho, my wife and I decided to embrace some technology and bought ourselves an AT Gold for Christmas.

We are truly newbies in the detecting arena. Most of our prospecting has been in the Yankee Fork, Buffalo Hump and Florence mining districts. I was wondering if any of the forum members had thoughts about detecting in these areas? Although I'm in Boise, I haven't tried any of the nearby Idaho City or Atlanta areas. I did manage to make it over to Sumptner this summer but only to try to educate myself about the area.

I've heard the dredge tailings in Sumptner are decent but does anyone have insight on the Yankee Fork dredge tailings? Also, do the Idaho locals have any experience with the Loon Creek drainage, I.e., Castro, Lost Packet mine etc?

My wife and I enjoy the Stanley, Challis, and Riggins area to camp. I hope that the AT Gold opens up some new opportunities for us along the Salmon River.

JR

GaryC/SanBdno
12-27-2011, 08:45 PM
JR, You must know about Jerry's Detectors in Boise (Google it)? He should be able to answer all your questions, even about Sumptner. GaryC/SanBdno

Jrreyboi
12-28-2011, 04:45 AM
Hey Gary, yes I know Gerry, in fact I bought my detector from him. He speaks highly of the Sumptner area as well as SE Oregon in general. I'm planning to take Gerry's class and will definitely learn more from him but he wasn't all that familiar with the Yankee Fork drainage where I've spent time prospecting in the past. He is a great guy and a wealth of information for sure.

Idaho Al
01-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Jerryboi, Next time you are in the Yankee Fork/Stanley area give me a buzz and maybe we can get together for some prospecting............. I live in Challis............Idaho Al

email idahoal.finley01@gmail.com

Jrreyboi
01-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Be careful what you ask for Al ;-) I'm meeting with Gerry on Friday to go through the AT Gold set-up. As I mentioned, detecting is new to me but I'm trying to get up the learning curve as we're heading to Cabo later this month and I thought it would be a good place to play around with it.

On another note, we usually spend some time prior to Braun Brothers Reunion messing around in the Challis area. We stay out at the hot springs and have a good time. We played around in the Bayhorse area this summer but haven't done any prospecting over there.

Steve Herschbach
01-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Gerry is the man for Idaho. See my notes on the AT Gold and salt water at http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/2096-Idaho-Prospecting

Jrreyboi
01-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks Steve, In fact it was That very post that got me to consider taking my detector with me, => "All Metal with Iron Audio at 30".....

highdesertranger
01-07-2012, 04:12 PM
hey jrreyboi, i have been going to sumpter oregon for the past two summers i will be there again this summer 2012. i wasnt aware the tailing piles were open to prospecting. any info would be appreciated. thanks highdesertranger

Jrreyboi
01-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Hey high desert......I know nothing about the tailings, literally we just drove around and took in the sites. I didn't have a detector at the time so it didn't dawn on me to check their status? Where were you spending your time?

highdesertranger
01-16-2012, 03:52 PM
jrreyboi im in socal right now. running the family cattle ranch. yes there are still a few of us left in the middle of the greater los angles area. will be in bend oregon on bussiness in the middle of april. then will be in the sumpter area around the end of june until august some time. highdesertranger