View Full Version : MXT - Relic or Prospecting Mode at Ganes Creek?

ezdave
01-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I read about looking for nuggets at Ganes Creek in Relic Mode works better than in Prospecting mode with a MXT. Agree or disagree ? And any chance of any training classes available for new owners of the MXT Pro in the near future?
ezdave

kamikaze1a
01-07-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm not an expert but I would follow the advice and go with relic mode...

Steve Herschbach
01-08-2012, 07:32 AM
The Relic Mode is very popular at Ganes Creek but I would not say it is better than the Prospecting Mode per se. It is more efficient. People set the discrimination control right at 2 when hunting in Relic Mode. This makes ferrous targets honk and non-ferrous targets chirp. This allows you to quickly sort targets while at the same time allowing you to investigate questionable ferrous targets. Straight forward iron rejection is not a good idea, as many deep nuggets can read as ferrous targets. http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/whites-electronics-mxt-metal-detector.htm

I do think most people fall into the habit of using Relic Mode and just blasting along, stopping only to dig high pitch non-ferrous targets.

The Prospecting Mode can also work well and maybe better in that it forces you to think more about every target. All targets but the strongest iron readings sound the same, so you have to stop and scan the target while checking the meter to see the iron probability reading. This might result in fewer missed targets. But it also slows you down, and there is something to be said for speed and efficiency at Ganes Creek. You are in what is basically a competition hunt.

The best training class you can get is to read the manual, watch the DVD, then go out and detect for aluminum. Find easy digging locations like around school yard equipment or better yet a beach. Your goal is to find the smallest aluminum you can find. The ability to find small aluminum mimics the ability to find both small gold and large gold at depth. Anyone can find those strong signals. The pros excel on weak signals. You need to do this for at least 50 hours, and refer back to the manual when needed. Watch the DVD a second time as now it will make more sense. No class, book, or DVD can replace the 50 hours or more of field use. Anyone who does not do that and goes to Ganes Creek and does poorly gets no sympathy from me.

It would be like going hunting for the first time never having fired a gun and not bothering to do any target practice first.

Mikthestik
01-08-2012, 07:33 AM
I would love to see an MXT class as I have been using mine for a while and am still finding little things that it can do.

ezdave
01-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the advice Steve! I will head to the beach with a part of a pull tab.