View Full Version : Sumpter tailings

johnedoe
01-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Does anyone here have any experience metal detecting the sumpter Oregon dredge tailings?

hookedoo
01-22-2012, 11:54 AM
My wife and I was there last year in May at the RV park for 2 days. We both were using MXTs no gold but a lot of old tin cans bolts and steel. We were trying to get to Green horn city but still to much snow. We will be going back later this year.

johnedoe
01-22-2012, 01:24 PM
My wife and I tried the same thing a couple years ago. I also have an MXT and my partner uses my spectrum......our results were much the same as yours, bullets and scrap iron....I had heard of some people having fair results but the problem is .... What area of the tailings can you detect ...... the dredge park area is strictly off limits, and I am not sure who owns the rest of the tailings. Still have time to try and figure that out this winter I guess.

Jrreyboi
01-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Hey Hooke, what's the RV situation in Sumpter? I know there is one in town that kind of sits up on top of the hill on the north side of the road. Are there others?

hookedoo
01-23-2012, 10:13 AM
We stayed at the one on the hill there was a lot of snow and not much going on in town.We stopped at some of the houses and asked if we could detect on there property and all but 1 said yes. I don't no if there more rv parks. You can go to Blue Bucket mining site and they have a lot of info.We are going to try to get there in late May this year.

skeezix
01-24-2012, 06:30 AM
I've been going to Sumpter for 8+ years now. When I stay in an RV park, I stay at Sumpter Pines RV Park. Here is the link: http://www.sumpterpinesrvpark.com/

I've never detected the dredge tailings, private property for the most part. But there are tons of old workings around the area. I always take my ATV down and ride around the hills looking for likely sites. I also belong to the Eastern Oregon Miners & Prospectors club (EOMP), they have a lot of claims in the area to work.

Jrreyboi
01-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Thanks Skeez....that is the park I was thinking of. We'll likely be spending some more time over there this summer.

JR

Steve in Idaho
01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
I was down there two years ago and found only junk.

highdesertranger
02-06-2012, 03:26 PM
wow allot of chat about sumpter, ive been going to the area scince the kalif. dredge ban. i love the area and the people are pretty laid back. small town usa. here is what i have come to learn. most or all the tailings are either claimed or private property be sure you have permission to be were you are at. most times you will be given the ok. do not get caught claim jumping the locals don't mess around. now on the gold there is still some good areas but it's on the smaller side, -#8. most -20, + 30. the area was really never known for nuggets, although thay have been found and yes there is tons of ferrous, nonferrous mixed in. highdesertranger

skeezix
02-08-2012, 08:15 AM
JR, I'll be over there this summer as well. I'll check the park for Idaho plates. Always fun to chew the fat and compare notes. Good luck this summer.