View Full Version : Tesoro Vaquero for small nuggets

atomicscott
02-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Hi all, glad to be a new member of this forum! I was hoping to get some thoughts from people on the Vaquero for gold nuggets. I'm in SoCal and I know alot of the nuggets found here are in the 2-5 grain size. So, would the vaquero be a good choice for gold this size (I'm not concerened so much about sub-grain gold)? I've heard opinions from "it's a good unit for small stuff" to I was "basically wasting my time with Vaquero and it's a cheaply made toy that will only find gold in the gram range". I've seen photos of some very small lead shot that was found with the Vaquero but haven't seen pics of any nuggets that were found. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I recently sold my GMZ and it was very sensitive to tiny gold, but didnt seem to have much depth, I thought the Vaq may be a decent compromise between depth and sensitivity. Thanks, Scott

Steve Herschbach
02-12-2012, 11:59 AM
I have used the Vaquero and it does just fine with a small coil and should suit your needs.

atomicscott
02-12-2012, 04:53 PM
I have used the Vaquero and it does just fine with a small coil and should suit your needs.
So is the small coil a must, or would I still get decent sensitivity with the stock coil? Thanks so much for your input.

Steve Herschbach
02-12-2012, 04:57 PM
That is up to you. The stock coil is not as sensitive to small gold.

atomicscott
02-14-2012, 10:13 AM
I know this is an apples to oranges comparison, but I just got a new $160 Tesoro Compadre for coin/relics and I get a strong signal on a 2 GRAIN piece of lead shot at about 1.5 to 2 inches in air. My GMZ tested about the same. I know in ground may be much different, but if this is the kind of sensitivity I can expect from Tesoro, I'm pretty sure the Vaquero is in my future!

Steve Herschbach
02-14-2012, 07:29 PM
The Compadre has no ground balance and so is not a detector I would ever consider for prospecting. Air tests mean little although I admit to doing them. The trick is context. No ground balance means an air test is worthless as you cannot adjust for the ground. It has more meaning in units that can. If you have a GMZ and are not getting good results on nuggets a Vaquero will make no difference. What coil are you using on the GMZ.

atomicscott
02-14-2012, 09:15 PM
The Compadre has no ground balance and so is not a detector I would ever consider for prospecting. Air tests mean little although I admit to doing them. The trick is context. No ground balance means an air test is worthless as you cannot adjust for the ground. It has more meaning in units that can. If you have a GMZ and are not getting good results on nuggets a Vaquero will make no difference. What coil are you using on the GMZ. I'm using the stock 6x9 DD goldmaster coil. I've never really had the GMZ to any gold bearing area other than some old mines, but have found lots of bb's and small pieces of lead etc. I just liked the idea of a more versatile detector like the Vaquero or possibly MXT. I'm aware the Compadre would be useless for gold in highly mineralized ground, I was just impressed with the sensitivity to small items (in the air). I purchased the Compadre for coins/jewelry etc. I don't plan to use it for prospecting. That's why I was was looking at the Vaquero. Thanks a bunch, Steve I'm a novice at this and I appreciate your help very much.