View Full Version : Minelab PI for deep relics

lytle78
02-24-2012, 12:30 PM
I will have a chance this fall to detect in Norway. I'm wondering if a ML PI detector would reach much deeper for Iron Age relics in mild ground than a top VLF machine like a V3i or an F75.

If the answer is yes, is there an advantage with a newer detector like a GPX 4000, 4500 or 5000 over an older machine like a 2200? Likely targets would be iron, copper/bronze and if we're lucky silver coins or jewelry.

What do you think?

Thanks

Rick Kempf

Steve Herschbach
02-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Heck yes a Minelab will hit deeper targets than a VLF, including more deep junk than you ever thought existed. The main difference in that application between the GPX series and older units is the much better control over the admittedly poor Minelab ferrous discrimination system. But poor is better than nothing in some cases.

The classic scenario is a known location where good finds have been made, but every VLF made has been over the ground and no more good finds to be made. First person there with a PI patience and a strong back is going to score good finds others missed. As VLFs deplete more and more areas I predict PI units will come to be used for no other reason that it will be the only way to continue pulling up good finds. As long as you can get the goods with a VLF why bother?

Walt_Anchorage
02-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Don't overlook the White's TDI. It's also a PI machine and it's made in America.