View Full Version : New to metal detecting

kingisland99762
03-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Couple of questions about Metal Detectors:

If I was to have between $300.00 to $500.00 to spend on a metal detector and my basic needs are looking for gold nuggets and old coins what type of metal detector would fit my basic needs?

Should I spend more money on a water proof one?

Some place I read long ago that rule of thumb for detectors is for every $100.00 you spend on one that it should reach at least one foot deep? So if I spent 400.00 would it reach four feet down in depth?

Is this true?
Thanks

Reno Chris
03-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Read Steve's detector recommendations - lot of info there. $500 probably wont be enough to get a new detector but might get a used one suitable for gold and coins. Lots of new guys have essentially this same question, so look through the past posts on the subject.

Steve Herschbach
03-10-2012, 06:54 AM
If I was to have between $300.00 to $500.00 to spend on a metal detector and my basic needs are looking for gold nuggets and old coins what type of metal detector would fit my basic needs? http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/13-Latest-Nugget-Detector-Recommendations-for-Alaska

Should I spend more money on a water proof one? Only if you need to submerge the detector completely. Nearly all detectors can be used in the water as long as the control box is kept dry.

Some place I read long ago that rule of thumb for detectors is for every $100.00 you spend on one that it should reach at least one foot deep? So if I spent 400.00 would it reach four feet down in depth? Not even close. Think inches, not feet. Good coin detectors can detect coins down to about 12 inches but in general 6-8 inches is a pretty deep coin. The vast majority of nuggets are found at less than a foot but multi-ounce nuggets may be found as deep as three feet with the best technology. As far as I am concerned the gold better be within a foot to no more than a couple feet for large nuggets or my odds are slim indeed.

atomicscott
03-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Couple of questions about Metal Detectors:

If I was to have between $300.00 to $500.00 to spend on a metal detector and my basic needs are looking for gold nuggets and old coins what type of metal detector would fit my basic needs?

Should I spend more money on a water proof one?

Some place I read long ago that rule of thumb for detectors is for every $100.00 you spend on one that it should reach at least one foot deep? So if I spent 400.00 would it reach four feet down in depth?

Is this true?
Thanks

I really like my Tesoro Vaquero. I have found bb's at about 5-6 inches. Sub-grain lead shot at 2-3 inches in highly mineralized ground with lots of hot rocks (good test for small gold). Also I found the top of a D cell battery (about 1/8" thick) as well as rifle brass at over 20 inches down! Amazing depth and sensitivity from a machine that sells for around $450 including a lifetime warranty.