View Full Version : Gold Bug Pro, differentiate hotrocks and gold?

goldmann
03-12-2012, 08:39 AM
My friend has Minelab GPX-4500 and it cannot handle the hotrocks in a certain area, even with a DD coil. The numerous hotrocks(about one every 5 feet he said) give loud signals and sound just like gold.

He wants me to ask if the GOLD BUG PRO with identify those hotrocks on all its different TID number readouts on the screen and tell the difference between such a hotrock and gold??

(Or any other detector that may do this like a Safari/E-Trac. He is not after subgram gold in this particular area.)

Thank you.

Reno Chris
03-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Normally in a situation like that you just kick or roll the hot rock aside. If the target moves with the hot rock, that was it, if the target remains in the ground, you dig.

Hot rocks that cant be dug can be tested by raising your coil - hot rock signals decay much faster as you raise your coil upward.

One every 5 feet is not that bad. Its when you have three or four on every swing - that's when it gets really annoying.

And although that's not the way I'd do it, hot rocks will ID on a GB Pro. They vary based on size and shape, but the ID numbers they give are much higher than the numbers for gold.

Walt_Anchorage
03-12-2012, 05:13 PM
While I'm not sure about the GB Pro I do have both PI (White's TDI) and VLF machines (Gold Bug 2 & MXT). Generally if an area has so many hot rocks that it creates problems for a PI machine switching to a VLF is not likely going to help.