View Full Version : Which Sledd

storm
03-15-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm looking for some opions on which sled to snow check I have been a Skidoo Guy since 2000.I'm considering the following 3 Summit x 154' with electric start,Polaris RMK 155',and the m800 proclimb 153'any input would be great thanks in advace.
Thanks Storm.
Just got back from Colorado and can't get enough of the DEEEEEP STUFF

Irondog
03-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Storm, I can't really say much about the Cat or Polaris, I haven't ridden either of them at length - only a couple time trying friends rides. All three sleds are capable sleds and there are pluses and minuses to all of them.

What I can say about ski-doo's is they have lead the way in innovation and technology. The revolutionized the sledding chassis in 03 with the REV chassis, the rider forward chassis has been copied by both Polaris & Cat. The XP took the rider forward chassis to the next level in light weight and handling. In the motor department BRP lead the way with the P-tech motor, the SDI, the 800R and finally the e-tech. I've owned every new sled since 1998 and all of them have been dependable and reliable. I've broken many parts over the coarse of the past 14 years from riding my sleds to their limits and sometimes beyond. AMDS has always been there to help me keep my sleds in tip top shape, their parts department is well stocked and they can get anything I need in short order.

The 2013's are the best in class in the trail and mountain segments, the tMotion suspension in the 2013 Summit is nothing short of another game changer - watch the other OEM's copy it in the years to come. Take a look at my review posted in this forum to get an idea of all the changes in store for 2013. You can also find many more reviews raving about the 2013's on Facebook, dooTalk.com and The ski-doo Mountain blog on FB.

Do your home work and look closely at each sled, compare the models and look at the manufacture and dealer support before you make your choice.

Good luck

Nick Olzenak
03-16-2012, 08:32 AM
I finally had the chance to get a leg on both the Cat Proclimb 800 and the Polaris Pro 155 this year, both 2012 models.
I have bled yellow since I left the green camp back in the 90's so I have been called biased and too loyal to Ski-Doo. Interestingly while I may be jaded what does it for me is the innovations that Ski-Doo comes up with year after year.
As a kid all the books in my room were about the future, hovering cars, stealth jets, crazy stuff that people dreamt up. Ski-Doo for me has continued to fuel my fire and that combined with my riding style has always given me a sled exactly suited for my riding style.
That said and going back to trying the "other" brands this year I was thoroughly impressed with the Pro RMK 155, hands down the best RMK I had the pleasure of riding. That was all fine and dandy until I got back on the 2013 XM and realized that I really appreciated the power of the ETEC over the Polaris 800. The power was greatly lacking and once you get used to HP it is very hard to give that up. The steering for me on the Polaris was unnatural, now that may be just my comfort on the Ski-Doo but I felt like I was steering an argo with the Pro, it handled nicely in the deep stuff but I could steer it to save my life on the trail. The XM does both exceptionally well and for my the "trail-ability" of a sled is important, even though I hate trails they are a necessary evil to get to some of the best riding there is.
In 2012 I would say it was a close call between the Pro and the XP... But in XM it is no challenge, the XM simply handles like no other mountain sled and takes the cake in HP, MPG, and handling.
The good news is that no matter what sled you choose these days they will all get you into trouble :) It is a great time to be a snowmobiler with all of the cutting edge advancements in technology how can you not upgrade?!
Good luck

storm
03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks
For your posts I'm seriously thinking the SummitX all Black if they have it.I also left the green Machine in the 90s.Now have to choose 154"or163"HMMMMM.Would you guys get the electric start?I had it on my Renegade don't know if it will effect the wait that much?
Thanks Storm

Nick Olzenak
03-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Once I graduated to the "long" track (137) when the Backcountry came out I thought that was it for me, then the Freeride comes along and I went with the 146 Electric Start believe it or not. Then comes the XM, which in the 154 feels like driving a 137 again! Which is awesome because you get the best of all worlds in one, it really floats with the 154 and still whips around in the powder like a shorty. I am upgrading again to the 154 after spending some time on this 154 XM. I will again go with the electric start, how can you not love just pushing the button and off you go. If you roll it over it will start upside down, I don't recomend you do that but there are some cases where it is necessary. My take on the weight... You could add an electric start plus 50 pounds and it will still handle and feel lighter than ANY sled on the market today. You can only sacrifce so much wieght for strength and if the sled is designed right... (XM) you will not even notice the little extra of the electric start.

As for the 163... I am not sure how many years before I go there :)

Irondog
03-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Storm, what are you riding now? Maybe we can get together and you can throw a leg over an XP and experience the power and smoothness of the e-tec and the light weight handling of the chassis.

Don't know if there will be any opportunities to try the XM again, but if you read all the positive reviews over on dooTalk.com you'll see the XM is a game changer in the sled handling area. It's going to make expert riders out of novices.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=509334&view=findpost&p=3812261

storm
03-17-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm riding a 2006 Renegade 800 stretched to a 144 2 3/8 track . Do you live in Alska Iron Dog?

Irondog
03-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Yes - Anchorage