View Full Version : Help with testing a GB2

minerjoe01
03-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Howdy guys. I talked a buddy of mine into buying a used Gb2. he is new to MD'ing but i told him everyone raves about this thing on small gold, so get it! Well, I went over last night and took some nuggets with me. .5 grain 3 gr and 20 gr. First of all, this thing looks as new as any i have ever seen. There was not ONE scratch on it. Even the coil had none on the bottom! So, i turned it on set gb to 8 and sens to 7. I put it on a solid oak table with NO metal in it. I swiped the 20gr first thinking it would scream. I barely did anything. I swiped the 3gr and got a small tone also. the .5 nothing. even on top of the coil. So i cranked it up and put gb to 0. It was set on low mineralz and boost. It then sounded off to the small one and screamed on the big one but still air tested out to maybe 3 in at best on the big one,,, So i was puzzled. I had the T2 next to it so it turned it on and i worked fine. T2 screamed on all but the small one. No signal (normal)! So i went outside with it and we live in high mineralized ground, so i put it in high and normal. Gb was maxed out to make it somewhat stable.... Sens was set at 2. (only setting it was stable at) I guess what my question is, could i be doing something wrong here? I Gb it just as i have with the gold bug, but it doesn't have the return tone like it does. It blanks out, (read that in the manual) so i set it where the threshold was as stable as i could get it going down and back up. It would barely read the 20grainer on the ground(where no targets existed). Also, i was wondering in disc mode, is there supposed to be NO threshold? I just hope i didn't talk him into a bed detector. He told me maybe sell it on here if i cant figure it out...please help!

Silverado6x6
03-16-2012, 12:03 PM
I would triple check the battery pack, the connections of said battery pack, the coil cables and maybe open up the box and check for any internal corrosion.
Can you swap the coil?
I do not own a GB, but in the short time I have had my GMT I am already thinking of ways to mod it. And or to weatherproof it better.

minerjoe01
03-16-2012, 02:26 PM
I checked out the batteries and yeah i thought the same stuff. You know the coil did false a little when i squeezed it top to bottom. Thought that was wierd. I wish i had a coil for it, that would be easy to rule out

Idaho Al 83226
03-25-2012, 04:44 AM
Hi Miner Joe, If you bought the GB2 used from a dealer you might take it back and have he dealer check it out for you....if not you could contact Fisher for tech. advice...I'v had a GB2 since 2006 with no problems and find that it will hit on gold that is to small that my other detectors cannot detect......My ATgold comes in second on the realy small stuff........Idaho Al

LipCa
03-25-2012, 07:45 AM
You need to find an area that is not so mineralized to do the testing. The GB2 is not good in highly mineralized ground to start with, let alone try to test it if you are not familiar with it.
Set the threshold in the normal mode....you won't hear it in the "iron ID" mode.
I've had 10 grainers that lie hidden under an inch of mineralized clay that won't make a sound.
I've had mine since the early 90's and replaced the "ID" switch 3 times, the ground balance twice and the headphone jack once and about 5 coils. I'd say it was equal to a vehicle with a million miles on it .... and it keeps on going!

BTW, i've never taken the senitivity(sp..lazy grin) off of "10"

minerjoe01
03-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks you guys, Al, i didn't buy it, but i may, it is too much for my buddy. He would be better off with a G2 or GBPRO i think. I hear you on the highly mineralized ground. I live in it big time. Cromite, andesite, all kinds of volcanic stuff around here. I just think when doing an air test, it should have been more impressive. I'm headed out to elko,nv in the morning, so i'll take it along with the minelab. At least give it a try. I looked for a new coil and they are out there for around 115 bucks.

Idaho Al 83226
03-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Miner Joe, Let us know how it works out for you, good luck........Idaho Al

Jrreyboi
03-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Gents, I was down in Rye Patch last weekend for Gerry's training class on the AT Gold and ended up buying a GB2 so my wife could use the AT Gold to prospect with. All of Gerry’s staff that was down there were swinging MineLab PI's but all of them also had the GB2 for their VLFs. All of them swear by it. By the way, I found my first nugget and was very excited.

Al, Seems like you and I have similar tastes. Maybe I'll run into you when you come to Boise for the Gold Show? Alternatively, I'm always in Challis for the Braun Brother Reunion.

minerjoe01
04-06-2012, 08:40 PM
well Al, i guess i'll just buy the thing and see how it goes! I'll let you know. Nice Nug from placerites!

minerjoe01
04-18-2012, 09:43 AM
it is now for sale. or trade for g2 or gold bug pro. 550 bucks