View Full Version : MXT Pro or AT Pro - what's lost and what's gained.

Joe C
03-24-2012, 07:13 AM
Right now I have, and really like, an MXT Pro but with all the hype about the AT Pro I thought I should ask about how they match up. If anyone out there has or has had both, what's your thoughts?
I'm primarily a fresh water hunter and use a CZ-21 when I dive or wade but I know I'm missing out on some of the smaller gold jewelry. I'd go for the Tiger Shark except for the mineraliztion here in Western Montana, so, I've been looking at the AT Pro as a possible crossover in shallower water. Unfortunately, I'd have to sell the MXT first, it has payed for itself on land hunts so I don't take trading it in very lightly.
Steve, if you you have any input I'd really like to hear it.

Steve Herschbach
03-24-2012, 07:23 AM
I plan on the AT Pro being my fresh water detector. So my question is why would you sell the MXT to get an AT Pro? The only thing it really offers by comparison is being waterproof. If it were me I would maybe be selling the CZ-21 to get the AT Pro. The AT offers interchangeable coils which the CZ lacks and notch discrimination. My frustration with the CZ is nickels read high (coin) tone which shifts many rings into the coin range, forcing one to dig mid and high tones. Or dig mid tones only, knowing you miss rings in the nickel range. I have has a couple CZ units and that one thing always bugged me.

That said you have a great set of units. If you really like the CZ you may regret selling it to get an AT so try and get your hands on an AT first.

Joe C
03-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Well, after going back and forth I've decided to sell the MXT Pro after all. I did some thinking and realized I'd only used it about 15 hours total in the past year and a half. It worked great for the purpose I'd bought it, a jewelry finding service , and it did pay for itself but I'm sure the AT Pro will work equally as well and have the added benefit of water hunting.
As always Steve, your input is greatly appreciated.

Joe

tvanwho
04-20-2012, 04:45 PM
I use the AT in Pro Mode but it sounds a lot like an old Minelab Explorer with its 17 different tones,can drive a user crazy in my opinion. Nice to have a water proof unit with a meter tho for when it rains or is threatening to. I dunno.Maybe I should sell mine?
Any offers,let me know...I am near Chicago.

-Tom V.

Well, after going back and forth I've decided to sell the MXT Pro after all. I did some thinking and realized I'd only used it about 15 hours total in the past year and a half. It worked great for the purpose I'd bought it, a jewelry finding service , and it did pay for itself but I'm sure the AT Pro will work equally as well and have the added benefit of water hunting.
As always Steve, your input is greatly appreciated.

Joe

Steve Herschbach
04-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Why not just take it out of Pro Mode?

tvanwho
04-20-2012, 10:56 PM
That would be too easy....hmmmm, but it can't hurt to try I spose...

-T