View Full Version : New GMT and ready to roll,,,

grouser
04-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Just got my new GMT after lots of reading and I'm ready to head out,,,,, need to find a way to make it water proof thou !!!!!!:p

Jim Hemmingway
04-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Howdy Grouser...and welcome to the forum. I think you will be quite happy with your new GMT. Be patient with learning this sensitive unit, investigate all signals in the early going until you become familiar with the unit's responses. Try removing some overburden to acquire a stronger signal to evaluate...then dig it to see if you've guessed correctly.

Starting a testplot by burying a few different size nuggets (lead will do in a pinch) and small iron tidbits / nails etc at various depths and become familiar with how your unit responds while trying different control settings. When in the field it doesn't hurt to start a collection of different looking rocks that give a "hotrock" response. Bench test these rocks when you have some time to experiment and note where they ground balance. Place such hotrocks on the ground and see how they react compared to your test nuggets. You may wish to try using your "Ground Grab" feature over such hotrocks and do the same over your buried "lead" nuggets. Note any difference in how your unit responds.

These suggestions will help you to learn more about your unit in the early going Grouser. You are going to encounter both hotrocks and iron trash in those NorCal dredge piles. Initially at least, keep your gain set to a stable operating level for best results with both the audio iron "grunt" and the visual % iron probability system. Whenever in doubt about a target... revert to the rule of thumb... and dig it. Good luck and let us know how you progress. :)

Jim.

grouser
04-13-2012, 08:01 PM
more wise words,,,I will do some bench testing with lead,, I am in the middle of gold country here and just have to put the coil over some,,,, I am persistent and stubborn,,,,, sooner or later I will find something,,,, I just hope it's a bit sooner than later LOL