View Full Version : Comparative BlissTool Metal Detector test depths for coin / relic hunters...

Jim Hemmingway
04-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Steve…. have you seen the video below about the Blisstool metal detector? A comparative test in the red dirt of Culpeper, Virginia…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g90S65e1kk&context=C45b50c0ADvjVQa1PpcFPPSglbJY4pliubhHfl02qS 54aPKuHo8ro=

Below is a second comparative test in moderate soil minerals…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVkOhTViSJk&context=C47df056ADvjVQa1PpcFPPSglbJY4plqOpQb7AnoMs MPWxm4iNi5s=

Jim.

tvanwho
04-16-2012, 05:47 PM
On reading the fine print under warranty service... having to include a check for $135 every time the unit is sent in Under Warranty? to pay for shipping at users expense to and from Bulgaria? hmm, why can't they service it here in the good ol USA? Detection depth sure is impressive in red dirt tho...not much info on how to set the controls..

-Tom V,why don't you be the guinea pig and buy one,let us know how it works out?

Steve…. have you seen the video below about the Blisstool metal detector? A comparative test in the red dirt of Culpeper, Virginia…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g90S65e1kk&context=C45b50c0ADvjVQa1PpcFPPSglbJY4pliubhHfl02qS 54aPKuHo8ro=

Below is a second comparative test in moderate soil minerals…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVkOhTViSJk&context=C47df056ADvjVQa1PpcFPPSglbJY4plqOpQb7AnoMs MPWxm4iNi5s=

Jim.

Jim Hemmingway
04-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi Tom…good to hear from you again.:) My intent behind posting this information was to stimulate discussion about something new and interesting… certainly not to promote any brand of metal detector. With a few changes to the design…for example an all-metal motion mode, a user installed battery system, more coil selection, and perhaps an option to increase the operating frequency…the unit would capture more than my casual interest.

I agree with you about the “round-trip” shipping costs and this is definitely a part of their service policy at the present time. They offer a second option for a unit needing repair. It can be sent to their new distributor here… Blisstool USA…the link is below…

http://blisstoolusa.com/Home.html.

As I understand it…they will look after the shipping to Europe at the $135 fee but will supply a back-up unit while yours is being repaired. But that applies only to customers who purchased the unit from Blisstool USA. If the unit catches on over here, perhaps a repair service could be established at Blisstool USA as well…it is far too early to speculate now.

The video test comparisons / results to date are intriguing… excellent depth and sensitivity in discrimination mode to a wide range of target conductivities in variable search conditions. Early indications are that interested hobbyists may want to keep their eye on developments related to this unit.

Jim.

tvanwho
04-17-2012, 02:28 PM
So, I take it you have a unit on order and will give us a run down on it by June 1 ( Hint,Hint...)?
Ps, why do gold nuggets tend to be in the same areas as iron rich red dirt?
What do iron and gold have in common besides both being metals?

-Tom

Steve Herschbach
04-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Hi Jim,

Had not seen that - I do not venture far from this forum these days. The unit certainly gets very good depth.

tvanwho
04-18-2012, 04:41 PM
There is a small thread on the Blisstool detector over at Findmall.com under the Metal Detecting Forum.
At least 1 user cannot duplicate results of the YouTube videos and isn't very happy about it. On the other hand, with 13 knobs and switches on this machine, could easily be operator error ...and another discussion over at Geotech1.com on the Tech Forum.
I like Steve's attitude,buy tried and true American...and/or from down under. But it can pay to have an open mind as well at times....then again,remember that fabulous gold mine in New Guinea was it, like 10 years back? Their stock went to the moon until it was discovered their drilling results were salted and then their head geologist 'accidentally' jumped out of a helicopter,and their stock cratered....Seems if its too good to be true, it usually is....

-Tom V.

Steve Herschbach
04-18-2012, 04:51 PM
I hate to be a snob but I just stick with the "Big 5" - Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro, and White's. The risk is non-existant and I will have no problem selling used if I chose to do so.

Reno Chris
04-18-2012, 06:04 PM
remember that fabulous gold mine

Bre-X - Still the record for scam gold mines.

Jim Hemmingway
04-18-2012, 08:12 PM
I much prefer to support our homegrown metal detector manufacturers, no different than with our auto industry or other products. But I welcome offshore competition because it should encourage our manufacturers to improve their products. If a metal detector will significantly improve results in my application… that unit is appealing to me regardless where it originates.

As to the Blisstool V3 unit, the people associated with the USA distributorship seem to be forthright in their presentation and dealings with interested hobbyists. They welcome interested parties to compare their units side-by-side over a variety of search conditions and target conductivities. For the moment at least… that approach is applaudable.

I believe that it is too early to place much stock in isolated forum reports about the unit. Misinformation surfaces on forums… particularly in the early going with respect to new units… for a multitude of reasons. Below is a link to a reasonably credible forum discussion about this unit.

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,24714

Tom… the release of the innovative F75 initially resulted in much stormy forum controversy. A highly vocal portion of new owners…not to mention those who had never used the unit, but seemed intent on repeating negative remarks read on forums… practically condemned the unit. The coin and particularly the relic hunting community have since proven otherwise beyond any doubt. At that time I purchased the unit and quickly learned it was a superb performer for my prospecting application as anticipated. With that experience in mind… I suggest for now that interested hobbyists remain receptive to emerging information and continue to monitor developments in regard to this unit.

Jim.

tvanwho
04-27-2012, 10:02 PM
I guess we have all seen whenever a new detector comes about , it kinda goes like this- greatest thing since sliced bread, goes 2 feet on a quarter, then the doom and gloomers come out and bash the machine to pieces.A few people get brave and buy one, they like it for the most part, and the machine sells like hotcakes for a month. Then the doom and gloomers sell after a couple weeks and bash the unit again.Another rush soon ensues after the Mfgr fixes a few nit picky issues. And then the whole circus show repeats with the next machine that comes along....sorry to pick on you Jimmy...
I still admire them pretty silver rocks you sent me..hmm, whatever happened to that 102 pound silver nugget you got last year? Are you rich now? Break off a hunk of silver and send it in for the Blisstoool,ok?
I cannot afford to go out and buy every new and expensiive detector that comes along anymore, good way to go broke...heck, I think I am about broke already....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbe6FWBZwes

The Blisstool guy seems to go out of his way to show his machine is not Bogus in this video.Almost 2 feet on a cache of LOOSE Silver coins !!! I've always been told loose coins in a cache are almost impossible to find at depth similar to hunting at the beach for chains.The detector supposedly only sees the single largest chunk of metal in the chain or the loose coin cache. The cache was buried in a plastic bag, NOT a metal container !!! How can this be? I may have to dump my penny jar out this weekend and experiment with my detectors on this ?

-Tom

I much prefer to support our homegrown metal detector manufacturers, no different than with our auto industry or other products. But I welcome offshore competition because it should encourage our manufacturers to improve their products. If a metal detector will significantly improve results in my application… that unit is appealing to me regardless where it originates.

As to the Blisstool V3 unit, the people associated with the USA distributorship seem to be forthright in their presentation and dealings with interested hobbyists. They welcome interested parties to compare their units side-by-side over a variety of search conditions and target conductivities. For the moment at least… that approach is applaudable.

I believe that it is too early to place much stock in isolated forum reports about the unit. Misinformation surfaces on forums… particularly in the early going with respect to new units… for a multitude of reasons. Below is a link to a reasonably credible forum discussion about this unit.

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,24714

Tom… the release of the innovative F75 initially resulted in much stormy forum controversy. A highly vocal portion of new owners…not to mention those who had never used the unit, but seemed intent on repeating negative remarks read on forums… practically condemned the unit. The coin and particularly the relic hunting community have since proven otherwise beyond any doubt. At that time I purchased the unit and quickly learned it was a superb performer for my prospecting application as anticipated. With that experience in mind… I suggest for now that interested hobbyists remain receptive to emerging information and continue to monitor developments in regard to this unit.

Jim.

Steve Herschbach
04-28-2012, 07:08 AM
A single chain link to small to be detected does not get more detectable if you have a chain full of them. A detectable coin can be found deeper in multiples so a bag of coins can be detected deeper than a single coin. But not as deep as if they were melted into a lump.

Jim Hemmingway
04-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Tom… I’m not about to draw any conclusions at this time and certainly have no hankering to buy the unit at present. The results to date… within the constraints of their testing… are encouraging but I would like to see more information. That would include a better understanding of the correlation between the “discrimination depth, “discrimination level”, and the “discriminator switch” control settings over naturally settled targets in undisturbed ground with respect to both discrimination and depth capability. Possibly that understanding may only be achievable by purchasing and testing the unit firsthand.

I’m fairly satisfied with the controlled side-by-side depth comparisons over “planted” / disturbed ground targets. Those depths don’t reflect the depth that should result from targets that have naturally settled in undisturbed ground, but are relative indicators if all units compared are operated with similar control settings. But discrimination results over planted targets do not reflect real world results. In my testplot for example, drill rods are easily discriminated within the iron range... ie broken signals... but in prospecting country those same control settings do not get the job done. And any conductive level target beyond about 5” in the testplot will either bounce all over the full target ID range… or register in the upper iron range beyond that depth… in fairly moderate magnetic susceptible soil.

That aside… demonstrations over a wide target conductivity range in any ground condition have looked good. Impressive sensitivity over a gold chain for a unit operating in discriminate mode, equipped with an 11” DD coil, and an operating frequency of 8 kHz. Below is another link to limited testing in red Virginia dirt…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4iEoL9zb9vE

Jim.

Jim Hemmingway
05-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Below is a link to the Blisstool manual should anyone be interested. The English translation isn't perfect but conveys the information adequately.

http://blisstool.com/data/userguides/BLISSTOOL_LTC64X-User_Guide-English.pdf

Jim.

tvanwho
05-08-2012, 08:06 PM
I need to get some field time in with the used PulseStar 2 that I acquired several years ago for cache hunting.Some of the more successful meteorite hunters use this machine with custom made coils they drag behind ATV's.It does have some crude discrimination or so it says.I have the 10,18, and 36 inch coils for it. It runs a 12 vollt,1.2 amp battery and you carry the control box, with metered output on a strap over your shoulder. I haven't used it much cause its kinda heavy and no pinpoint button and I need to dig craters without getting in trouble.Maybe I should try at volleyball courts? Altho,it is meant more for baseball size and larger targets. Supposedly,it will not detect coin size targets in the top 6 inches, I really can't say for sure. One thing I do really like, it has straight telescoping rods like on a camera tripod for infinite adjustments, vs US made detectors and their S rods and limited adjustment range , spring loaded ball adjusters. There were a few users reports over on TreasureNet. Jim, do you know anybody who has a PulseStar 2 and could give me some pointers?
One of the more well known meteorite hunters used a PulseStar2 detector and a custom made 6 foot x 3 foot coil towed behind his atv on a PVC plastic pipe frame, to find deeply buried meteorites in Kansas some years back. He located a stone worth over a million dollars with it and they needed a backhoe to dig it up!! I believe it was in Greensburg, Kansas. This town was levelled by a tornado a few years ago as I recall. Nothing left but the concrete grain elevators and the meteorite shrine and the 3 foot diameter space rock.

-Tom

Jim Hemmingway
05-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Hi Tom….unfortunately I have no information to share with regard to that model. I suggest you post an inquiry over to the Metal Detecting Equipment forum at the link below… Carl or one of the others may be able to provide good information to you.

http://www.detectingequipment.com/index.php?mode=index

Since you are interested in searching for meteorites Tom… below is a link that shows a recovery of a large piece on video. Interesting stuff and quite valuable…

http://prospectingchannel.com/Meteorite.html

Jim.

tvanwho
05-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Great Video Jim. Were they on private land in New Mexico? I have heard if you find a meteorite on BLM /govt land, that it is the property of Uncle Sam? I don't think they would want to give up that big piece? They said the value was between 100K and 700K dollars !! I have a spot I want to look someday in southern Arizona.I even found a pioneer account that mentioned ..."sounds like rocks banging on the roof of the ranch house one night"...I found a rock in the farm field next to my place with a paper thin black crust but its NOT magnetic.Sure looks like small crystals and gray stone inside it tho. The rock looks like an Apollo space capsule,weighs a couple pounds, no iron ..maybe I can post a pic or 2 for you guys to examine.
One of these days I need to get to the Field Museum in Chicago .They have 6000 meteorites in their collection I heard.

-Tom V.

barryny
08-12-2012, 06:13 PM
The Blisstool is proving to be the ONLY VLF machine with the ability to GB out HIGHLY mineralized soil while still being able to discriminate iron as well as detect non-ferrous targets.

The latest Blisstool v3 seems to be VERY hot on gold in highly mineralized conditions. More testing is being done in more normal, less mineralized detecting environments on a few different sized AK gold nuggets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMJqwrSiuWo&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20dA3L4TkrU&feature=channel&list=UL

Jim Hemmingway
08-13-2012, 09:09 PM
PS, why do gold nuggets tend to be in the same areas as iron rich red dirt?
What do iron and gold have in common besides both being metals?

-Tom

Tom… it seems to me that iron and gold are close associates and both persist in nature. I look at the red Australian soils in gold country and can’t help but think that when all else has eroded and oxidized away we’re left with soil dominated by iron oxides, hard rocks like quartz, and stable gold… and maybe an occasional jackelope. Perhaps someone knowledgeable about gold country will give you a proper explanation that ordinary folks can understand. You might check with Reno Chris…

Jim.

Jim Hemmingway
08-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Hi Barry and welcome to the forum. By way of introduction, it might be a worthwhile idea for you to describe your role / association with Blisstool USA.

I have a nagging question about setting-up this unit over unfamiliar ground… for example to eliminate small iron such as nails… because there are controls that are different from what is normally seen on USA produced units. For example Barry… the multiple controls involved with setting discrimination, the silencer control, and how these interrelate.

Would you mind taking a few moments to address this question? A brief explanation might alleviate any fears that this unit is complicated to learn or operate...

Jim.

Steve Herschbach
08-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Barry, please note forum rules on competitive advertising by commercial sources. Questions and answers are fine but leave the sales hype out.

Reno Chris
08-14-2012, 09:04 PM
One thing I'll point out about ground balancing over extreme hot rocks. I used my Gold Bug 2 on a recent trip with Steve in Alaska over some rock that was pretty wild. I used a trick many prospectors know well. As is shown in the video above, just keep your coil well above the ground. The signal from hot rocks dies off over a much shorter distance than the target response from a metallic target. This effect can be used to tell hot rocks from metallic targets in many instances. By raising up the coil, you loose depth, but in real wild ground, you cant detect up close with a VLF anyway, and in the video, it appears the coil is at least 6 inches above the hot rock when it is waived over it. With the loss of depth you wont hear tiny gold, but a mini ball is around an ounce in weight, and that is no problem - a one ounce solid target can easily be heard from 6 inches or more with many VLF detectors.

Dreamer
08-15-2012, 02:27 AM
One thing I'll point out about ground balancing over extreme hot rocks. I used my Gold Bug 2 on a recent trip with Steve in Alaska over some rock that was pretty wild. I used a trick many prospectors know well. As is shown in the video above, just keep your coil well above the ground. The signal from hot rocks dies off over a much shorter distance than the target response from a metallic target. This effect can be used to tell hot rocks from metallic targets in many instances. By raising up the coil, you loose depth, but in real wild ground, you cant detect up close with a VLF anyway, and in the video, it appears the coil is at least 6 inches above the hot rock when it is waived over it. With the loss of depth you wont hear tiny gold, but a mini ball is around an ounce in weight, and that is no problem - a one ounce solid target can easily be heard from 6 inches or more with many VLF detectors.

Chris,

Will this trick work on black slate? Or maybe I should ask are there hot rocks mixed in with black slate?

Dreamer

Reno Chris
08-15-2012, 09:34 AM
It works with any non-conductive rock or mineral that is responding on your detector because of its magnetic properties.

Dreamer
08-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Thank's Chris! Oh! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Dreamer

barryny
08-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Hi. I work with the USA importer to help market the Blisstool in the US. I will stick to answering questions as per Steve's suggestion.
We are re-working the Blisstool manual that was really a translation from Bulgarian. We are 80% there. When completed it will be more of a "pocket manual" that will explain what the various dials are used for and how they inter-relate.
Ultimately, once ground balanced to an appropriate Gain setting, the Disc Level and Disc Depth are set up for the iron/trash conditions you are detecting in. The Disc Toggle is for surface contaminants.
Silencer is for eliminating EMI type interference and does not effect depth.
The 2 main depth determinants are the Gain and the Threshold. After you GB to the highest Gain the ground will tolerate and still operate quiet - you'll set the Threshold to a level to suit your hearing style - chatter or quiet...
More detailed info will be forthcoming in the above mentioned pocket manual aka "field guide"...
Watching some of the videos that are out there really helps one get a good feel for what the different settings deliver in terms of performance.
Thanks.

Hi Barry and welcome to the forum. By way of introduction, it might be a worthwhile idea for you to describe your role / association with Blisstool USA.

I have a nagging question about setting-up this unit over unfamiliar ground… for example to eliminate small iron such as nails… because there are controls that are different from what is normally seen on USA produced units. For example Barry… the multiple controls involved with setting discrimination, the silencer control, and how these interrelate.

Would you mind taking a few moments to address this question? A brief explanation might alleviate any fears that this unit is complicated to learn or operate...

Jim.