View Full Version : Whites GMT

Patrickramey82
04-30-2012, 10:56 AM
I own a whites GMT and have been out like a mad man usuing it every week, ive checked creeks, tailing piles and a few other places. The problem i am having is that no matter where i go there is sooo much crap that i dig up thats not iron.. the Iron probability display is always at like 0 or 85 nothing in bewtween.. Im finding targets that are small and deep like peices of copper jacket from bullets, so i figure i have it dialed in right but is there someting im doing wrong? ive spent mothes looking at maps, mineral reports and other resources and cannot find a very good place to run my whites up here near fairbanks.. any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated by my wife and I. if she keeps digging garbage up shes gonna stop going with me lol..

Steve Herschbach
04-30-2012, 11:25 AM
If you are not digging bullets, shell casings, and any other non-ferrous (not iron or steel) targets then you ARE doing something wrong. Any place with 100 years of mining history is going to have a share of trash. Some places are better and some are worse, but a real fact of metal detecting is that for every decent target you will dig many trash targets. A remote mine with no general public access may be pretty trash free in places. In areas where the public can get access, tailing piles make good areas to walk and hunt, and can be full of shell casings and bullets.

The good news is that if you are digging any non-ferrous trash at all it actually is a sign the place is not "detected out". There is only one thing more disturbing than digging trash, and that is being in an area where nothing goes beep! At the end of the day all you can do is put yourself places where gold has been found, and be very patient. If it was easy gold would not be over $1600 an ounce.

Here is one day of trash at Ganes Creek:

grouser
04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
it does sound like you have it running hot,,,,, now you just have to put it over au,,,,,, location location location HH

Steve in Idaho
04-30-2012, 03:25 PM
I sure am glad that you save all of that trash from Ganes cr so that I don't have to dig it again.

Steve Herschbach
04-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Polite words cannot describe how I feel about people who detect and dig up trash and then leave it lay.

Anasazi Al
05-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Amen to that Steve. American Diggers should be buried!

shaftsinkerawc
05-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Trouble with Fbks. is that most ground is deep and only accessible to bedrock at mine locations. Dredge tailings may be an option but access and ownership would have to be checked.

grouser
05-02-2012, 09:36 PM
yes PLEASE take the trash with you !!!!! thank you very much

minerjoe01
05-04-2012, 07:23 AM
You'll get it. When i purchased my detector, i went out for the first time and got a 2dwt nugget, just an hour into it! Then, came my gold winter, going almost 4 months without getting anything. A friend of mine told me" its not what coil or settings you're using joe, It's the gold under your feet." Not that I was helped much by that right away, but before long i was picking up gold every time out. It's a mental thing bud, keep a positive outlook, and it will come! good luck

silver dog doug
05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Well over a 100 pieces of trash for one day in Ganes. Now, I have a mark to shoot for. Hope that there are a few nuggets along with the trash. Thanks for sharing Steve. Doug