View Full Version : Ultimate 13" Detech Coil For Nuggets?

mxt sniper
05-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Any thoughts or comments on how this new Ultimate 13" Detech coil might work on a MXT for deeper nuggets at Rye Patch? Will it be too noisy in high mineralized grounds? I am considering buying one for beach hunting and nugget hunting at depth for larger nuggets. My main coil I use is the 5.3 eclipse for coin/jewelry, and I have a 5" excelerator I use for bedrock tiny nugget hunting and heavy trash areas in parks, the river beaches around here I hunt are loaded with black sand so I am looking for a larger coil that is stable yet with more coverage in a dd coil, plus something I can use at Rye patch and similar areas in Nevada for deeper nugget hunting.

Jim Hemmingway
05-03-2012, 05:18 PM
MXT Sniper… I haven’t used the Detech coil… however….below are a couple of links that might be interesting to you despite that neither is specifically about nugget hunting …

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,27747

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBT5idh8_Kk

The coil comparison is intended to demonstrate the SEF coil’s superior signal on a nickel located under a brick…that serves as a ‘hotrock’. The unit is first ground-balanced over the concrete floor at GB75 and then tested over the brick (that ground-balances at GB88). The SEF does give a better signal on the nickel when placed below the brick. Keith mentioned similar results using the next size larger SEF coil as well.

At the time he posted this video, Keith pointed-out is that he did the ground balance “Grab” with each coil… starting with the MXT Pro’s default GB setting. The default ground balance with the SEF coil gave a noticeably milder signal to the concrete floor than did the Eclipse DD coil. The overall inference is that the SEF coil is less reactive to ground minerals than is the Eclipse DD coil.

In real world conditions, Keith noted that .22 calibre shells normally read about VDI 6 to 8 using the SEF over his harsh mineral ground, whereas the Eclipse DD reads lower at about “0” and sometimes reads down into the iron range. He also mentioned that his tests reveal no depth loss to targets when comparing the 6"X 8" SEF to the 10" DD Eclipse.

Jim.

mxt sniper
05-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the link and video, I was pretty impressed by the video, does show a fairly major difference in the coils abilities for sure. My hunting buddy and I have already done a couple hrs testing with the 6x9 and we decided it wasn't for us. Very limited depth over other coils we use was the major concern. We are not used to using large DD coils and are not aware what they can or cannot do. So this helps some for sure. Thanks.

Jim Hemmingway
05-07-2012, 07:39 PM
MXT Sniper... came across another short thread about the the Detech 13" coil...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/whites/293435-anyone-tried-detech-13-coil-yet.html

If I happen across any similar information I'll post it to this thread. Good luck with your decision-making. :)

Jim.

mxt sniper
05-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Well, after just having gotten back from Northern Nevada and some detecting I have decided to buy a 8" excelerator as a bigger coil for the mxt, the terrain there is not suited to large coils, too much sage brush, roots, uneven terrain, etc, you really need a solid coil to work with, the spoked coils will hang up on stuff right and left, I got to see a successful pocket mining operation in action too, was a lot of fun and very informative. Plus I got some hands on training on my gold bug 2 while there. I got a buddy up there that is partners on several claims.

Jim Hemmingway
05-11-2012, 01:12 PM
MXT Sniper... sounds like a great trip. I found another thread you may want to review about the 13" coil...the link below...

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,1695855

Now that you seem to have come to a decision based on practical field use, I'll discontinue posting anything further about 13" detech coils to this thread. All the best :)

Jim.