View Full Version : Copper Thieves!

Silverado6x6
05-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Last week where I work in Wasilla at Consteel I notice that the heavy duty welding leads on my 400 amp Lincoln diesel welder were missing, I cannot recall if they were taken earlier as I only paid attention to it when I needed the welder to use for our main gate repair.

The copperheads just ripped the terminals off, I had a suspect in mind and called the local scrapyard and they ran the name through the database but no results, I am guessing it was somebody who walked onto the property after hours and then dragged the cables away.

What I am afraid of is others who see copper as the poor mans gold will go even further and will destroy the big heavy 480v bus cabinets chock full of copper cables to the batching equipment or even to steal brass water valves and equipment.

I will be installing a serious video recording system with software that I can use on my smartphone to see anything on the cameras anytime or be notified of an intrusion.

just a heads up for anyone with property or a business that has copper plumbing, wiring or valves. And I am going to put some pressure on some people to make it more stringent about buying copper off the street, especially suspicious cables and plumbing.

Replacing almost 200' of 3/0 copper welding cable will cost $1600, the copperheads probably made only $100 or so, more if they burnt the insulation off. Funny thing is I am actually taking a more aggressive stance myself of reclaiming copper wire from old projects, junk trucks and equipment myself at work.

unreel
05-06-2012, 05:36 PM
saw some news cast of a idiot in california trying to steal copper from a power transformer station but guess what happened. he got fried. not to smart.

Silverado6x6
05-06-2012, 06:51 PM
I did an internet search of unsolved crimes locally and found out just down the road from me at Quality Sand and Gravel that they were hit by copperheads in july and again in october, they stole spools of cable and even wiring from the conveyors.

And I was informed one person was so upset with the copper thieves he set a bear trap for them up in Willow, he actually caught someone and had a stern talking to about the use of abusing a bear trap.

Brian Berkhahn
05-11-2012, 09:35 AM
They should've hooked up a snare instead of a bear trap.. hung those suckers up by the neck! I HATE thieves!

dewam
05-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Maybe they have family members in Fairbanks, or just took a road trip.

"Fairbanks thieves strip wiring from charity wharehouse"

http://www.adn.com/2012/05/11/2461025/fairbanks-thieves-strip-wiring.html

They are selling it to someone, not too many buyers in state.

Silverado6x6
05-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Last late sunday evening I woke up early from a very vivid dream that someone was back on the property stealing stuff, so I arrived at work at 11:30pm and parked myself with a spot in one of the company trucks that has a good field of view of the front yard and the shop.
Stayed there until 3am and dawn was starting, never saw anything. Turns out I was right on about my dream and it probably happened just before I arrived, somebody drove around to back lot and stole several truck radiators that were salvaged from older trucks.

We installed another set of gates, the shop has extra security and the welder is now in the shop with its leads. I still suspect its the owners son and or his associates. The kid cannot keep a job and is always scrounging around for scrap metal. He has had several run ins with the law and last I heard has lost his license.

What I fear the most is if these thieves get desperate when all the easy pickins are gone and will start cutting the heavy buss mainline cables in the batching electrical room, there is an awful lot of heavy duty copper cable there, I know as I built it.

I hope a new law goes into effect sending a message to these copper thieves and targeting the buyers, its almost as bad as drug dealers.