View Full Version : Preferred/favored detector?

BrooksRanger
05-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Would appreciate suggestions/recommendations/comments on which detectors stand up to heavy use, exposure, range, and ease of use.

rattlesnake jim
05-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Detector for what????
Gold
Coins
Jewelry
Dry land or underwater
Most folks have several for different reasons and purposes.
What are you going after?

BrooksRanger
05-19-2012, 04:57 PM
I have nothing specific in mind other than hobbying. I'd like something sturdy to take along on summer excursions that will withstand moderate to heavy use. I live in the Interior, so have a lot of ground to cover if I want to scout out old tailings, but mainly I like to putz around abandoned cabins and streambeds.

Steve Herschbach
05-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Garrett AT Pro or AT Gold, Fisher Gold Bug Pro or F75, Minelab 705 Gold, Tesoro Lobo, or White's MXT or MXT Pro.

http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/13-Latest-Nugget-Detector-Recommendations-for-Alaska

KelvinG
05-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Brooks,
Like you I was looking for a "do it all" detector for the same reasons as yours. Wanting to poke around relic hunting but also do a little nugget shooting. I can't give you any personal insight because I'm new to this. Iím picking up my first detector from Steve this coming Monday.

After reading a lot of reviews I went with the Fisher F75. From what I've read it will take a little effort learning to "listen to what its saying". I got the impression its main purpose was coin & relic hunting, with some features added for gold hunting. But Steve seems to do quite well nugget hunting with it, so I have hope! LOL

This is probably obvious, but I had to read it and think ďDang thatís a good ideaĒ. Get some targets (gold, old coins, nails, jewelry etc) and practice detecting them to get a feel for how your detector responds. Put a piece of gold next to iron to see how the combination sounds.

Right now my biggest problem now is trying to figure out where to go. The quilt work of land ownership, mining claims, and my lack of knowledge is making picking out spots difficult. Iíve been researching Alaska ghost towns and abandoned mines but that information seems sparse. (Got a lot of Google hits on Kennecott and Hatcher Pass!) Seeing how you live in the interior I have one suggestion; walk sections of the old Alaska Highway. Iíve known a few people who find some cool stuff.
Good luck!

BrooksRanger
05-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Well, we used a detector to keep folks honest at one of our camps, but since I didn't buy the thing, I didn't pay attention to what brand it was. It was green and it caught a few Pinnochios is all I know. I'm sure I have an hour or two to handle the various models while I make up my mind. Thanks for the input.

goldmann
05-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Garrett AT Pro or AT Gold, Fisher Gold Bug Pro or F75, Minelab 705 Gold, Tesoro Lobo, or White's MXT or MXT Pro.

http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/13-Latest-Nugget-Detector-Recommendations-for-Alaska

Steve H.,

1)-Which single frequency VLF detector handles highly mineralized goldfield ground the very best.??

2)-Regardless, disregarding, and sacrificing small gold finding ability, does a Minelab BBS or FBS multi-frequency machine handle highly mineralized goldfield ground better than single frequency VLF's.??

Thank you.

Walt_Anchorage
05-21-2012, 01:51 PM
I have several detectors that I use under different conditions. MXT-larger gold (and if I want to go looking for coins). TDI -deeper gold in mineralized ground without a lot of metal junk. I used to have a Surf Pro that was great for Hawaii vacations but I bought a vacation home in Arizona. My favorite detector is the Gold Bug 2 mainly because it was my first detector and we have been on many adventures together. I still take it along as a backup even if I don't think I'll be useing it. Plus, it's still the best at finding small gold.

Steve Herschbach
05-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Steve H.,

1)-Which single frequency VLF detector handles highly mineralized goldfield ground the very best.??

2)-Regardless, disregarding, and sacrificing small gold finding ability, does a Minelab BBS or FBS multi-frequency machine handle highly mineralized goldfield ground better than single frequency VLF's.??

Thank you.

1. If all highly mineralized ground was EXACTLY the same there would be a single answer to that question. As asked, the answer is "it depends on the ground mineralization".

2. So you are looking for a detector that "handles" ground without finding gold? If the existing multi-frequency units were good at finding gold nuggets lots of people would use them for prospecting. I am sure somebody has found gold nuggets with them though.

If there was a VLF detector clearly superior to all others for nugget detecting than we could cut through a lot of discussion and just everyone use that one magical detector. VLF tech is mature and everyone builds good units. In PI tech Minelab has a clear lead with a single model, the GPX 5000.

goldmann
06-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Steve H.,

Thank you.

1. If all highly mineralized ground was EXACTLY the same there would be a single answer to that question. As asked, the answer is "it depends on the ground mineralization".

I heard that both the T2 and MXT handled highly mineralized ground better than the X-Terra 70. I have the X-Terra 70 and I am very dissapoined that it cannot handle this high mineralization here well.

2. So you are looking for a detector that "handles" ground without finding gold? If the existing multi-frequency units were good at finding gold nuggets lots of people would use them for prospecting. I am sure somebody has found gold nuggets with them though.

No, a multi-frequency(BBS but preferably FBS) unit which is still good for finding gold about +1 gram and bigger, but maybe sacrificing smaller gold than that.

Why? Because to work in an area full of man-made trash where my X-Terra 70 single frequency machine will not work properly(many false signals) due to this type of high mineralization here even in discrimination(Coin & Treasure) mode showing good numbers up to 30's and 40's on hot ground(I am in an area like this right now).

Also my GP-3000 or even GPX will not work there due to the amount of(too much) trash. So if a multi-frequency unit can handle this mineralized ground here and discriminate out trash then this is what I want to look for gold here and another spot.

If there was a VLF detector clearly superior to all others for nugget detecting than we could cut through a lot of discussion and just everyone use that one magical detector. VLF tech is mature and everyone builds good units. In PI tech Minelab has a clear lead with a single model, the GPX 5000.

Reno Chris
06-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Oh, the 3000 and the GPX will work - you just need the patience to dig that trash. Once its gone you can hear deeper and fainter targets that may be gold. Digging trash is a pain, but there are techniques to help. Get a strong magnet and mount it on the end of a stick (you can buy tools like this at places like Home Depot). Sweep the ground with the magnet and collect all the surface trash. Then start digging the targets that are buried. Learn to quickly pinpoint and remove targets - if you spend too long on any of them, trash removal takes forever. So learn to accurately pinpoint and remove. Yep, digging trash infested areas is a pain. Clearing the trash out of an area is work and takes perseverance, but sometimes its a chore that pays off well.

Sorry, there is no detector on the market with near perfect discrimination that will also handle intense mineralized soils and hot rocks. No technology now available will do both, no matter what the price you are willing to pay. The VLF's (single or multi frequency) have better discrimination, but its far from perfect, and they are highly subject to the effects of mineralized soil and hot rocks. PI detectors are far less effected by mineralized soils and hot rocks but their imperfect discrimination is far less effective than even the imperfect discrimination of the VLFs. As yet nothing on the market can do both things well.

goldmann
06-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Great advice Chris and I thank you very, very much.!