View Full Version : Alaskan Mosquito

highbanker58
06-02-2012, 04:52 AM
When I was at Ganes Creek last year, the mosquitos were severe as usual.I used 100% Deet and the mosquitos just found it slippery and hard to land on. Several of the guys used a product called Thermacell. Have any of you had any luck with this product? How do they get it there? The airline doesn't want it in luggage since it is a compressed fuel. Dave

Steve in Idaho
06-02-2012, 06:52 AM
A lot of us use them at Ganes cr last year. They do work. You can buy them at most sporting goods stores. The refill fuel are not supposed to be carried on most planes. Although Doug Clark will have the refills at Ganes cr so that you can buy them from Doug.

highbanker58
06-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Steve could you use it only, without any bug dope or head net? Dave

canucksgirl
06-03-2012, 07:08 AM
We've used the same thing in a really bad mosquito area, and it worked okay (imo). They have a "proximity" that they deter the pests, so (in theory), when you're in that zone, you shouldn't require any other intervention. (Just remember that not all mosquito's read the same science or product labeling... Some still found a way to bite my ankles). :(

ezdave
06-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Can you use the Thermacell while detecting or only when you are not moving(stationary) I am headed to Ganes next Saturday and could bring the portable unit if you can use it while detecting. Thanks for any more info!
EZDAVE

highbanker58
06-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Ezdave, I am taking one to try this trip.I will be there the week you arrive. See you then.Dave

ezdave
07-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Good call on the Thermacell Dave. It worked awesome at Ganes! Hardly bothered by bugs at all when I had the Thermacell on!! It will come into use camping this summer. Hope to see you at Ganes next year! ezdave